1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My high school's first attempt at a GSA club

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by JRNagoya, May 25, 2012.

1. JRNagoya

I graduated from Vanguard High School in 1996. At the time, there were only two out gay students that I knew of. Then I read this article. It's asinine opinions like that of the principal that keeps LGBT students closeted and ashamed of their orientation. There's no love loss between me and my high school, but the actions of the principal and his comments are nauseating.

The article can be found here: ACLU Foundation of Florida sues Marion County School Superintendent Jim Yancey | Ocala.com

Emphasis on select quotes and thoughts of the principal are my own:

Me again. This is what ignorance brings to the table. Instead of educating himself and talking one on one with the students, he disgraces himself and the high school with his unfair judgment and opinions. This is central Florida, however. I really shouldn't be all that surprised. I hope the ACLU goes for the jugular.

2. Linthras

Linthras Guest

It basically boils down to this:
    [​IMG]
    And of course genuine homophobia, but his weak argument seems to be just irrational ageism.

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Huh, "conversation about sexual orientation"?

Yea, wouldn't want any of that. Scientific facts and all. High school kids don't talk about their sexuality ever. They don't talk about who they think is hot or who they're dating or how far they went with their gf last Friday night.

What he means is, "conversations about homosexuality being a natural human sexuality for some people." That's the scientific truth these people don't want kids to learn. If kids could learn that basic truth in health and sex ed classes, it would reduce the confusion and frustration many of us went through to finally realize our sexuality.

A 14 yo gay kid has been surrounded by a heterosexual environment her whole life isn't easily influenced to be straight so the opposite isn't going to happen either. Ignorance and fear mongering as usual.

4. AloneOutHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah i was raised being told i would marry "a pretty girl"

5. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

When teenage boys/girls talk about the members of the opposite sex, its cute, and encouraged and part of normal sexual development. When its gay kids, its adult and better left not discussed in any capacity, especially not in a place of learning.

6. JRNagoya

Posting a recent update to the issue. Emphasis added is mine. The School Superintendent didn't change his mind because it was the right thing to do, but because he didn't want to "waste taxpayers' dollars." :

Gay-Straight Alliance allowed, Vanguard students prevail | Ocala.com

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do so love this :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo[/youtube]

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: