1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All Ontario schools must allow ‘gay-straight alliances’ under new anti-bullying bill

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 25, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...clubs-to-be-called-gay-straight-alliances?bn=

2. Zontar

Re: All Ontario schools must allow ‘gay-straight alliances’ under new anti-bullying b

Does Canada have the US-typical wave of evangelicals claiming this infringes upon religious freedom?

3. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: All Ontario schools must allow ‘gay-straight alliances’ under new anti-bullying b

Yes, but they aren't nearly as organised or vocal.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. Bradley

Great news, I hope this passes (and I'm sure it will).

My question is, why do we still have government funded Catholic schools?

6. Eric

That'd be section 93 of the constitution.

I grew up in the government-funded catholic school system, and it's really not as bad as it sounds. In High School, I had one semester of religion, and it was pretty much the same as any other religious studies class. In my school, everyone was generally tolerant and respectful.

7. Bradley

I understand it is written into the Constitution, but I still have issue with government funded religious schools (nothing against Catholics in particular). I hate the idea that my tax dollars are paying someone to teach children that I am going to burn in hell, that condoms are evil and that the earth is 6,000 years old. If they want government money, they should be required to get out of the middle ages (this law is a great start).