1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News WTF New Zealand

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Loras, May 27, 2012.

1. Loras

Just thought id share this video thats going viral on the net, its got New Zealand actors, singer and MP's so most of you guys probably dont know who they are. But it makes me proud to say im from New Zealand.

WTF New Zealand - YouTube

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really well done. Personally I first thought it would be like the American FCKH8 videos but instead aside from the WTF part, it really is more about spreading the facts. :slight_smile:

3. Doctor Faustus

I got a song from Ezra Axelrod ('American Motel') as the ad! It's pretty good I have to say :grin:.

Also, great ad. WTF indeed.

#3 Doctor Faustus, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
  4. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Great ad indeed. Love these support-from-famous-people ads.
    Just like the Iy gets better ads.

5. Paper Heart

I love this! I wish FCKH8 was more like this. It would be a lot more effective. Bravo, New Zealand.

6. Ridiculous

It is good, but the gratuitous use of "fuck" means they won't allow it to be shown on TV here at any meaningful hour :\.

7. Doctor Faustus

8. Rob999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I like this! Only problem - the comments...

9. ArcaneVerse

hahaha <3 it. Good going NZ. Typical NZ\Australian humor and laid back but take no bs attitude.

10. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I don't know who any of these people are- I mean, we all know famous actors and musicians only come from America and Britain :lol:- but these "famous" people have done a really good job with this. :thumbsup:

11. I gotta say this is way, way better than FCKH8. At first, I thought FCKH8 was good for a few laughs, and I can't totally rip on a group that is trying to help, but I sometimes feel like maybe they are doing more harm than good because it's not a very good message when you have an 8 year old screaming F*CK on the internet when your opposition is saying you are trying to corrupt children...

12. Tycho

It's great to see such a strong campaign in New Zealand. Some people see NZ as idyllic when for some gay individuals it is anything but.

13. Lewis

I love this!

I also just watched a 'FCKH8' video and I am absolutely appalled by it, it's really vile. It's called 'Top Reasons Homophobes Are Full of Shit', it just makes us look stupid!

14. Linthras

Linthras Guest

15. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

While I applaud the effort, for it being in your face, but I kind of wish the campaign was called something else.

WTF or "what the fuck" will send some people (sensitive, touchy, easy to offend, wishy washy sheep) recoiling in fear with knee-jerk reactions about its content. 'What about the children!?!?!?', "i don't want my children hearing that awful word', and they will totally glaze over the information and message because the word fuck offends them. Yes, people are that stupid. As another poster said, it may make the campaign less accessible to the people that need to hear it.

A while ago I saw a great anti-hate campaign that used pictures of babies with words like gay and lesbian plastered across their faces, asking 'will you hate me?'

To me, that sends an equally strong, and more palatable message to the stuffy, hypocritical, conservative moral majority that will probably disregard this campaign due to the profanity. It always seems like for every step forward we take, we're always 2 steps back thanks to stupid people.

#15 ArcherySet, May 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2012
  16. I'm proud to be a New Zealander!
    :grin: This was great!

17. rcollinz13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was worried at first that this would be like the FCKH8 videos I see on youtube all of the time, but I was pleasantly surprised. This videos does a much better job of getting the point across without being obnoxious and offensive. I find that the fckh8 videos give us a bad name, but this was much better.

18. agonizingnose

Unfortunately this is true, the most we can do is bleep it out or facebook the shit out of it