1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Romney the Presidential Candidate

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Revan, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know this isn't LGBT News but since Romney may have a huge impact on LGBT should he somehow manage to win President (doubt it but we'll see), thought I'd post this:

Romney clinches GOP nomination for president with win in Texas primary; ‘Our work isn’t done’ - The Washington Post

2. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure that it's very smart to doubt that Romney will win in November.

With unemployment as high as it is along with two thirds of Americans believing the country is on the wrong track, Romney has a very decent shot at winning.

They are virtually tied.

3. sguyc

Ya hes got a good chance. Its very possible that Romney could win the popular vote and still lose the election. Obama just needs to win one of 1) Virginia 2) Ohio 3) Colorado and Iowa and he will probably win the election with so many blue states already locked up. I am just looking forward to the gaffes and scandals.

4. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Obama would more than likely need to win more than just one of those states you listed. Right now, there's about 12 battleground states up for grabs.

Ohio and Florida will obviously be huge, especially the former for Romney.

EDIT: A recent poll shows Romney is currently leading in Florida by six points.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS...-obama-florida/story?id=16412268#.T8XRoplYsjo

---------- Post added 30th May 2012 at 04:06 AM ----------

Here's another article on some current polling: Campaign Is Moving

#4 Mike92, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  5. Emberstone

All obama has to point out is that mitt romney took his state from 37th in job creation to 47 in job creation, point out romneys pledges to limit womens access to cancer screenings (anyone with a brain knows planned parent hood is two seperate, unconnected entities thanks to the hyde ammendment, and that goverment funding only goes to the 97% of P.P. that does cancer screenings, preventative care, and other health care needs, not abortions), and that Romney has argued every side of practically every issue (including saying he would be better for LGBT rights than ted kennedy), and Obama can easily take the lead.

Besides, the republican party has been doing everything they can to stop america from creating jobs and economic growth by trying to block every effort by obama and the democrats, and yet Obama has created 3 times more jobs in the first three years of his presidency than the whole 8 years of bush, has created upward economic growth, and brought the value of our markets up to what they were before bush, who collapsed the jobs markets, wall street, and the world econamy during his presidency.

and that is with republicans not bringing forward jobs plans, and trying to stop everything. Heck, they were even openly saying their only job is to stop obama from being relected before he had even taken the oath of office: they care only about their power, not america, otherwise they would have bothered to work with the president.

Romney is nothing more than someone who thinks his wealth entitles him to be president.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or that compared to the last four Presidents, Obama's spent the lowest amount of government money. If his budget for 2013 passes, spending since 2009 will have risen only 1.4%. Less than say Herbert Hoover's, or say the last year of Bush's Presidency in which spending jumped 17.9%. And being that the Republican party keeps blaming the deficit on spending is still ridiculous. Romney will bring more tax cuts that the public can never afford, and then let's not forget that the two wars Bush started had no budget to begin with causing more money out of the pockets of hard-working Americans.

So yes, clearly Obama's the bad guy here and Romney will win. Unless of course Americans actually decide to look at the real facts instead of stuff made up by the Republican party, Romney, etc.

And before Michael chimes in with a lovely "you're not American so you have no say comment", we're neighbours with America, actually can see Detroit right across from my place, what America does effects Canada, why do you think people consider it one of the superpowers of the world? So don't say I have no real say in this, just because I can't vote means nothing. :slight_smile:

7. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm assuming that's why unemployment is still 8.1% (and actually probably far higher than that). According to Obama, his ''stimulas'' would prevent unemployment from reaching 8%. Well, he was wrong.

Obama has spent around $5 trillion - that is just ridiculous. He said he would cut the deficit by half by the end of his first term. That's not going to come anywhere close to happening. He has raised massive taxes and has wasted an absurd amount of money on some pointless, failed projects -- like California's high speed rail plan. Obama is like a 13-year-old using his parents' $50,000 credit card.

So while Obama can point to some of Romney's flaws, Romney can hit him just as hard, if not harder on the economy.

If unemployment remains as high as it is through November (which will likely happen), it's going to be quite difficult for Obama to pull away from Romney, especially with over half of Americans believing this country is on the wrong track.

---------- Post added 30th May 2012 at 06:01 PM ----------

So you don't believe that Obama spending millions on essentially a rail to nowhere and a failed stimulas hasn't contributed to the deficit? That's an odd stance to take.

#7 Mike92, May 30, 2012
  8. Emberstone

I love how people say the stimulus has failed.

where is your proof? we have 3 times at many jobs in 3 years as we got in 8 of the previous administration, and the stimulus, was apart of that. It pumped money to get projects off the ground, which created jobs, and pumped money back into the econamy through consumer spending.

They say the bailout failed, but they dont have proof to support it. We shelled out what, around 700billion, and so far, the overall cost of the bailout after the loans started to be paid back is around 30billion.

Mitt Romney is proposing nothing more than Bush V.2 on steroids. His policy agenda is to beef up the agenda that collapsed the econamy in the first place.

Obama has been able to get out econamy to turn around, and create upward job growth, including records in growth in manafacturing.

Also, when you actually draw up whoses policies are at the root of our spending, to say that obama has spent 5trillion dollars is disengenuious, as a good portion of that is carry-over of bush era policies that obama was not able to dismantle, along with the unfunded bush tax cuts, and the two unfunded wars. Interestingly enough, very little of what bush did for 8 years was ever funded.

If romney gets elected, the econamy will collapse once more because that is what the policies romney is proposing did when bush did them (though romney wants to go even further in the fuckamericaplutocraticdictatorship than bush did).

You cannot build a house by hanging the shingles magically in the air, and expect that everything will trickle down.

you build the foundation by stabilizing the bottom, and build up.

That is why at no point in the entire history of human civilization has the kind of economic policies republicans are pushing, and have been for about forty-fifty years, ever worked.

ironicly, bottom-to-the-sky economic policies are the cornerstone of every sustainable nation.

9. RedState

Sorry, your vote means nothing...so vote away.

But then..it might...the Democrats have been getting dead people to vote for years..so why not someone from Halifax, or whatever city you are from.

And I will state this for the record...you started this...THIS post..has NOTHING to do with any LGBT issues but it is another pathetic attempt for you people to bash anything that has an R beside its name..but I'm used to it with this outfit.

I guess it doesn't really matter that this President has one of the worst first term deficit records in American history.

But..oh...I forgot where I was for a minute...I'm on EC...

The Devil made Obama do it..right?

Yes..how could I forget?

Next.

10. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry, but I had to stop reading after that.

8.1% and higher unemployment is without question proficient proof. Obama said it himself that unemployment would not reach that number with the stimulas.

For some strange reason, Obama believes that funding flawed programs with our money is the way to fix the economy.

Well, tell that to the millions of Americans that are part of that 8.1% and to the ones that have completely given up on finding a job.

And the blame game is getting old. Teleprompter man said it himself that he would cut the deficit in half. Romney inherited a deficit when he became governor and turned it into a multi million dollar surplus. Unemployment was also quite decent when he was governor compared to what it is now. See, he didn't blame everyone else around him, he just fixed it instead. Was Romney perfect as governor? Absolutely not. But it's not like Obama has done anything earth shattering to improve the economy.

Rather than attempting to get reelected on his record (which he can't), Obama is trying to attack Romney on Bain Capital to try and deflect attention on the high ass unemployment. Yet, the irony is Obama is accepting cash and met with people from companies just like Bain.

Gotta love Democrats with their double standard and hypocrisy.

#10 Mike92, May 30, 2012
  11. Emberstone

so creating three times more jobs in three years than his predecessor did in 8 means the stimulus didnt work.

IT IS A HUGE REPUBLICAN LIE that the stimulus didnt work, and it is saID by republicans because they cannot accept that obama is more successful than they were. How do we know this? because republicans have a habit of saying the stimulus didnt work, and did not create any jobs, then going back home to their constitutants, and praise the jobs created by the stimulus.

Also, the republican party, in a similer vein of refusing to accept obamas successes, when obama and the military took out Osama Bin Laden, the republicans were all praising bush, when history already records the fact that bush, 6 months after the 9/11 attacks, was talking about how osama bin laden is not a priority anymore, and when the interoggation experts, both outside the administration, and those in the military who were privy to the entire operation, pointed out that so called enhanced interrogations did not contribute to Bin Laden's location and death.

Our deficit, out of the last five presidents, owes its size mainly to three presidents, W. Bush, Reagen, and Bush sr, who in order from highest to lowest, bloated the size of our debt at a rate that makes clinton, the 2nd lowest, and obama, the lowest, look like spare change in the couch cushion.

Barack Obama inheriented plutocratic facisem from the republcians, and took us away from the anti-middle class bullshit that is the source of the economic collapse that happened even before democrats had the congress.

Like it or not, the true job creators are the middle class consumers. the wealthy elitists have not been job creators for well over 60 years, and They, Romney leading the pack, have been nothing more than economic extractors. They only exist to draw more and more out of the econamy, and horde it for themselves.

Welcome to the real world.

republican facisem FAILS.

12. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah, yes, let's just blame Bush for everything -- that'll work! Typical Democrat retort, but too bad that argument has been used more times than Obama has said ''yes'' to gambling with our tax dollars. Deflecting blame, as is always the case...

Again, by Obama's own expectations and standards, the stimulas was a failure. It came out of his own mouth that the stimulas would prevent unemployment from reaching 8 percent. I'm not sure why that's so difficult to grasp. You can twist it anyway you like, but the fact remains that unemployment is still very high and it's going to be a while before it improves.

I think many Republicans and Americans alike made it pretty clear that Obama deserved some credit for bin Laden. But let's put this into perspective. The real people that deserve the bulk of the credit for killing bin Laden are the brave soldiers that put their lives on the line. Did Obama take a risk? Sure he did. But it was pretty much a no-brainer to do it.

As I said in a previous post, Obama said he was going to cut the deficit by half, and it's actually increased whether Democrats want to admit it or not.

13. RedState

This is nonsense.

Since 2008 a rising share of the economy..over 24% of GDP is devoted to Federal spending..this is up from 20% in 2004..and these are figures from the OMB. What is worse, according to the CBO, under no changes in policy and under the guidelines submitted by the FY 2012-2013 Executive Budget that number will increase by 10 points in the next 10 years.

The share of the public debt rose an estimated $6 Trillion from 2000-2006. From 2007-2010 that figure rose by $4.7 Trillion...and that is only in 3 years..less considering the fact the Democrats only took complete control of the government in January 2007.

Not to mention the skyrocketing unfunded liability of federal obligations.

To put it bluntly, Obama is a Peter Pan President for Peter Pan voters.

I mean, if you're going to college, live off the government, want to work for a Federal Agency the rest of your life, belong to a Union or don't worry about turning over 25, Obama is your man...he's a great President..he's the "Ain't we got fun President"

But aside from all that...what's in an Obama vote for the rest of us?

The annualized growth rate last quarter was an abysmal 2%...not to mention the youth employment rate hovering around 16%...which is a good portion of his base (why I can't imagine)

But perhaps the life raft for those same youth is the provision in the healthcare law that says you can mooch off your parents insurance until you are 26. If Obama wins another term you may just need it.

#13 RedState, May 30, 2012
  14. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I guess the question I have for the republicans on EC is, what exactly makes Romney any different than Bush? And I'm asking that as a genuine, serious question. The economy crashed under a republican administration, and the nation was operating at the time under republican policies--taxes were low, defense spending was high, etc. And Romney wants even more of the same. There is no difference. Not even on social issues.

The main problem I have with Romney (and republicans in general) is that all of his/their policies are going to be paid for off the backs of the poor and the middle class. They totally support a tax reduction or a complete tax removal on dividends and capital gains, but want to slash social welfare programs to pay for it, while increasing military spending by $2.1 trillion over the next 10 years, on top of the already bloated military budget that Obama inherited from the Bush years. It doesn't make fiscal sense to increase the defense budget when we're winding down from two wars. Oh, but Romney wants an increased defense budget so he can deal with Iran. I guess another American war in the middle east is just what we need to put Sally Sue and Joe the Plumber back to work. Third time's the charm, eh? Because the first two worked out so well for us.

What really kills me the most, and what is the nail in their economic policy coffin (in my opinion), is their complete and fanatical opposition to any tax increases whatsoever on the wealthy. If republicans were serious about the budget, they would acknowledge that taxes have to come up at some point. We aren't going to pay our bills by gutting government revenue. A majority of Americans support it, and instead of hiking taxes republicans are willing to raid ghettos and teacher unions for the difference. Their priorities are so backwards, and I think it's unethical to take from those who have the least, i.e the poor. Where were these deficit hawks when Dick "Deficits Don't Matter" Cheney had the keys?

The economy is slowly on the rebound, and if we had a congress worth their salt maybe we would be out of it already. Instead we have a bunch of freshman drama queens who turn every bill into a showdown and have set the record for the number of filibusters. My family is much better off now than we were three years ago when Bush left office, and before anyone even tries to say something stupid--no, we're not suckling a government tit. And that's not even getting into the republican platform's anti-choice and anti-gay social positions, or their positions on immigration, (A fence? How original! Over! Under! Through!) which are truly just deplorable and only get worse by the day.

15. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    at least if he did get in, he'd probably be better than Bush.

---------- Post added 31st May 2012 at 03:01 PM ----------

This video might be helpful for you.

Radbox - Daily Show: Bad Credit

Watch the Rumsfeld part from about 2:14

16. sguyc

The economy did not crash because of low taxes and high defense spending. And Obama has not altered either of those policies because they have actually been helping the economy.

17. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Obama and the democrats have pushed to slash the defense budget and military spending for the last two years. That was actually part of the deal that republicans agreed to before democrats allowed spending elsewhere to be cut when the super-committee was proposed. It had to be matched practically dollar for dollar out of the military budget and republicans tried to renege on the deal after the super-committee failed.

So, actually, Obama has tried to alter those policies and succeeded, and like I said, if the republican party was serious about reigning in spending and balancing the budget, then they would agree to cut defense spending and raise taxes, but they won't. Because it's all political, and they've so far used the deficit and the budget as an excuse to do everything but what they say they're going to do.

Bottom-line--the deficit is high because of:

1. Too much spending.
    2. Not enough revenue.

And republicans aren't really serious about changing either one in a genuine way.

18. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And Democrats are? That's comical.

I think it is a mistake to cut spending from the military. My brother was let go from the Air Force a little over a year ago because they had to make cuts, and he wasn't even making that much money to begin with. Instead, they are hiring young people and paying them very little. He's been on unemployment for over 13 months because the economy is so bad. It's sad that our veterans can't even find a decent paying job after putting their lives on the line for our freedom. Not to mention how messed up our veterans come back mentally from war (my brother was one of them). Military suicides are the highest they have ever been. And I won't even get into how big of a joke ObamaCare is.

But yes, let's continue to poor a ton of resources into welfare and screw over our military. Then again, if Obama wasn't so inept at creating jobs maybe there wouldn't be the need for so much money for welfare.

Our current president has failed us.

#18 Mike92, May 30, 2012
  19. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    your perspective should not end at your own front door.

It's obvious your mind is made up though, and there will be no listening to reason. You might mellow out with a few more years.

20. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You know, that's funny because there are many veterans out there that are dealing with the same thing. Maybe you should go out your own front door, ask around and experience it yourself. Then again, that's an easy statement for you to make when you aren't even living in this country.

And I'm not sure about the last part. I mean, you're 27 and reason certainly hasn't stricken you yet.

I doubt that will be happening any time soon for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.