1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scientific research shows gaydar is real.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chip, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well this is an interesting find. Apparently somebody's done a scientifically rigorous study of gaydar, and found that it does, indeed, work, and that people can pick out who is gay just by looking at their face, for 50 milliseconds, with about 60% accuracy.

Obviously this is only 10% better than chance, but the article addresses how significant even that 10% difference is. I didn't read the source study so I didn't look to see if the people judging are gay or otherwise profess good gaydar. That group would, I'd guess, have even better accuracy.

Anyway, here' the article:

2. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are a lot of problems with the study, which someone raised on another forum I frequent:

Essentially, there was a glaring flaw in the methodology which could easily account for the 10% difference.

Neil deGrasse Tyson once gave a good rule of thumb for interpreting results as a layperson. If the results support or defeat the hypothesis only marginally, then it is probably a fluke and should not be taken as definitive. If there was anything substantive behind the hypothesis, the result would have been higher.

Of course, the only way to tell for sure is to have other repeat the experiment. I doubt that would confirm these results, though.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's true, but he's also talking to people who don't understand statistics very well. If they repeat the same study a few times and keep getting the same results, then you can only have two more hypotheses: either the methodology is wrong, or there really is a 10% difference.

One thing that is interesting to note though is that indicators of minority orientation are historically and regionally contingent.

4. RealityCheck

I think we should let Chip have his moment. :icon_bigg

5. Lewis

If gaydar is real, mine is broken.

6. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nah, actually, I'm usually pretty reluctant to post studies I read about in the popular media for this very reason: Particularly in the fields of psychology and social science, methodology tends to be crappy; often there are serious, fatal flaws in the way studies are designed or implemented, and sometimes there's just completely faulty analysis of the data.

The 10% difference from chance struck me as low, and additionally, since we don't know much about the selection process for the participants, there are potential biases that could be introduced there as well.

I think it's an interesting topic, and I think the approach is somewhat novel... but it would be nice to see the study replicated multiple times, with different researchers, to see if the results stand up.

7. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know people whose gaydar is completely busted, and I also know people whose gaydar used to suck, but has improved substantially over time. So don't give up hope :slight_smile:

8. RealityCheck

That's a very good mature answer, but at the end of the day we all know you are a devout believer, lol. :kiss:

9. Travel Tech

No closet is safe.

10. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, I'm a total believer. :slight_smile:

But I'm also regularly disappointed by the poor quality of scholarship in published studies in the social sciences. I was genuinely hoping this was a decent, well designed study. The design certainly has promise, but I think if someone decides to repeat it, I'd want to see a lot more rigor in the way the testing is set up.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    10% also struck me as low, so ya. I'd've expected 20% at least.

12. Ianthe

One thing to consider about the difference from chance being low, is that not everyone has very good gaydar. The people in the study were not all people with good gaydar; they were random(ish) people, as far as I can tell. We all know that some folks have lousy gaydar, and that will bring the number down.

Another thing to consider is that to some extent, the study's ability to measure the accuracy of gaydar relies on the accuracy of the information the study has about the people's sexuality whose faces are being judged. There is a chance that some of them are closeted and categorized incorrectly. The "correct" sexuality of the faces presented in this study is based on the person's self-disclosure on Facebook. So, it's likely that people's accuracy is somewhat higher than the study could show, because some people were lying about their sexual orientation on Facebook.

But I don't necessarily think that whatever it is people are picking up on in the pictures of people's faces correlates to sexuality 100% of the time anyway. It's more likely that it only correlates a lot of the time, but not always. The "gay face" would perhaps share a common cause with being gay, but they would not go together all the time, without fail.

(Additionally, I don't think gaydar can be said to be based on this alone; and I've never met anyone who's gaydar is perfect.)

13. Obsidian

Yup, mine too.

14. RealityCheck

Mine is pretty good it seems. Today I was driving home behind some of the Rugby players. There were two in the backseat of this car. I noticed one had his shoulder open to the other guy and the other guy was leaning slightly toward the other when talking to him. I was like, that is a little unusual I think they are gay. Next thing I know the guy put his arm around the other and was gently rubbing the guys face with the back of his hand. Def gay. DEF.