1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mormons march in Gay Pride Parade to build bridges

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54225023-78/parade-crowd-mormons-pride.html.csp

2. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe it's just me being mistrustful... I just feel so darn suspicious.

3. Tim

Tim

My best friend in Elementary/Middle School is Mormon. He moved away in 8th grade, but when I came out, he was nothing but supportive. He took it better than my mom, a Christian, who says it doesn't change how much she loves me, she just doesn't agree with "my lifestyle."

You can't stereotype a religion just because of the things we hear in media. Stereotyping anyone because of something you heard about another person of their race, gender, orientation, religion, etc, is just as prejudice as the people you're referring to.

(Not directed at you lazyboy, just saying it for everyone, xD)

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is good to see. It shows that not all mormons are homophobic.

5. adhawk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was at this parade. It was the first time ever going to a gay pride event and I did not know what to expect. I must say when this Mormon group walked by, the crowd went wild. They got more of a reaction the any other group during the parade. It was really great I looked around me and there were tears in some peoples eyes other people were running out and giving hugs to the marchers. One Mom had on a sign that said "Free hugs from a supportive LDS mother." I thought it was wonderful, so many LGBT mormons lose there family or there family relationship become very strained when they come out and I'm certain that this group brought some peace or hope for so many people. I myself was raised in the Mormon church and my extended family is all devout Mormon. However I am not Mormon any longer, and my Immediate family is not either, but it still was wonderful to see and made me so very happy.

6. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm surprised to hear that. but also glad to hear :slight_smile: ...

7. Linthras

Linthras Guest

It's not really stereotyping when it is a doctrine of that particular religion.
    I mean, not all Catholics are homophobes, but it is official doctrine that homosexuality is wrong.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's good to see that there is so much dissent among Mormons. That gives me a lot of hope.

9. ArcaneVerse

^this. I think its an amazing thing these people are doing, if its for the right reasons. I think its perfectly fine and understandable to be suspicious considering the things the church and its members have done publicly in the past.

From what I read on their Facebook page there are many real supporters that marched, but I would bet that there were a few who weren't completely on our side also.

The point is if it continues and grows then it will be a really great thing, especially for those LGBT living in Utah. If it fails to go anywhere then maybe they aren't as invested in the cause as they seem to be now. either way its good to see.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The entire article made me happy. :slight_smile:

11. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It comes down to the individual person rather than a group of people, like Mormons, for example. I'm sure there are many that are very accepting and can approve of homosexuality and others that would just cringe and turn the other way. I have a friend who I've known for years that is Mormon and he isn't approving of people being gay. We're friends, yet we have very differing views on many issues.

12. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first friend at school I told that I was pansexual accepted me and she is Mormon. I was so happy and I trusted her enough to tell her, so I was glad she didn't push me off.