1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The G.O.P.’s Gay Trajectory

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/opinion/sunday/the-gops-gay-trajectory.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting indeed. While we (including myself) often have issues with Republicans, it goes to show how some really aren't so bad. But I sort of wish with his contribution to Romney's campaign he could at least help convince the man to move a bit more into the gay marriage friendly zone...

3. Mogget

Same-sex marriage is only one of many issues that are important to LGBT people. I wonder how strongly pro-gay Republicans will support legislation like ENDA.

4. British Lad

British Lad Guest

Well they finally realising there on the losing side so its time to change tactics and sides.

5. Aldrick

This is a good thing. We need more pro-LGBT Republicans.

I want a world in which both parties are willing to twist themselves into pretzels for our money and our vote. Once both political parties unequivocally are pro-LGBT the entire culture as a whole will shift.

Those who are anti-gay will find themselves socially ostracized for their bigotry, and we will have a government that is willing to work its ass off to protect LGBT children in anti-gay families. Never again will we have parents sending their kids off to camps to turn their kids straight, or abusing them emotionally or physically for being LGBT.

I'll be glad when I finally see the day when a public figure taking a stance against LGBT people is viewed no differently than a politician who, today, would support a return to segregation. In other words, it would be both political and social suicide.

As the culture shifts, so will religious institutions. They will either be forced to adopt to the shift in culture, or die a slow death through stagnation and decline as members flee their congregations.

In the mean time, every Republican that we pick up to our side is a major victory in holding back the forces arrayed against Marriage Equality. As pointed out in the article, and as I have pointed out in the past, everywhere that Marriage Equality has passed through the legislature it has done so only with Republican support. We desperately need Republican's on our side to fight off any erosion of the victories we're making.

6. Emberstone

history is showing that as long as there is a democrat in the white house, ENDA will never happen, because republicans will never allow a democrat a sucess they think they, the republicans, can prevent, even at the cost of america's future and its econamy (the consumers are the engine of our econamy. Rich people havent been so in over half a century).

That is why republicans blocked in the senate equal pay for equal work. Women being paid the same ammount of money to do the same ammount of work is a no brainer for anyone with even the most basic grasp of ethics, morality, and AMERICA! the republicans blocked it because it would be a sucess for obama's agenda.

when there is a republican in the white house, do not expect republicans to support such bills, becuase it doesnt serve their ideaology to help the citizens, especially women.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Aldrick in that sexism and homophobia will only be eradicated when ostracism is so strong that you're considered to have committed moral and intellectual suicide after expressing such a view.

The level of sexism and homophobic is something I look forward to seeing improve the more... generational rotation we see in the coming decades.

Also, in my view, ENDA is a tiny bit more important than marriage equality. That's a bonus, but discrimination in the workplace and in hiring is kind of a bigger deal. (Unless said couple is binational, clearly.)

8. Emberstone

I agree. I am currently a full time student, so ENDA does not directly effect me, but it is more pressing at the moment, so is equal pay.

I rember when the log cabin became more promenant, and everyone was like "its only a matter of a few years, and the republican party will be pro-gay..." well, over a decade later, that has yet to happen.

I meet such proclemations that the GOP is going to become gay friendly with a functionally valid scoff.

A GOP donor supporting gay rights is not going to make much of a difference... especially since they put more money into a anti-gay presidential canidate than they do in civil rights.

9. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's rather astute move, if it works. The problem is, that while guys like him can get pro-gay Republicans money, and there definitely is that "economically conservative, socially liberal" constituency, things like primaries and party infrastructure are still pretty much under control of reactionary "moral" "majority."