1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Parenting Study Raises Important Question: Aren’t These Studies Bloody Stupid?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://reason.com/blog/2012/06/12/k...e+-+Hit+&+Run+Blog)&utm_content=Google+Reader

2. kris B

Re: Gay Parenting Study Raises Important Question: Aren’t These Studies Bloody Stupid

You know I read the article by the author of this study in Slate magazine and the conclusions he drew upset me. Obviously, I didn't see the problems with this study that other social experts later pointed to. Like in this article from Newyorker

The Faults of Mark Regnerus's Gay-Parenting Study : The New Yorker

3. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Gay Parenting Study Raises Important Question: Aren’t These Studies Bloody Stupid

What a hack. That about sums it up, I think. :grin:

Although if somebody could find a free version of the study itself, that would be great.

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2012 at 10:55 PM ----------

Ah, found one.

ScienceDirect.com - Social Science Research - How different are the adult children of parents who have same-sex relationships? Findings from the New Family Structures Study

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2012 at 11:13 PM ----------

Hm, well, this is interesting. From the study's introduction:

The articles critiquing the study may have pointed this out already, but here's a translation: "I focus on how respondents who said their mother or father have had multiple romantic partners compare with respondents whose mother and father have stayed in a stable monogomous relationship." Alternatively, "I focus on how banging a hammer on my head compares with laying it on a pillow." Methodological superiority my ass. It's well established that children whose parents have unstable, intermittent relationships fare worse than parents who remain monogamous and committed (married or not).

It's very telling that the author criticises previous studies for having small samples of monogamous homosexual parents, saying that "It is not surprising that statistically-significant differences would not emerge in studies employing as few as 18 or 33 or 44 cases of respondents with same-sex parents," while he has a comparable sample size of, well ... 1.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'm sorry...but how can I take this seriously:
    Seriously? Suckier? >_>

5. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Well, to be fair, the study itself doesn't use the word "suckier."

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Meh none the less lol

7. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Hadn't even heard of this study yet. Not surprised to find out it has a very pseudo-scientific nature.
    If it were solid it would have been all over the news, including here in the Netherlands.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Sadly, a lot of what passes for science in social science journals is absolute crap. The peer-review system is obviously broken as well, otherwise a lot of this stuff would *never* make it into publication.

9. Doctor Faustus

I know right? I mean, that's what the peer-review system is supposed to be for, right?!

10. Ben

Ben

I read the full study the day it came out and knew that it'd only be a matter of a couple of days before it got destroyed. I really don't think you need to know much about the scientific method to see that the findings just don't tell us anything about the validity of same-sex parenting.