1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay marriage is one of worst threats in 500 years, says Church of England

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...500-years-says-church-of-england-7836852.html

2. Travel Tech

I suppose there's only one solution. They'll simply have to be removed as the country's official religion. Seriously, why do they even still have one of those? Even AMERICA doesn't have an official religion.

3. Ridiculous

And about fucking time too. They shouldn't have a privileged position. They should be seen with absolute distrust because they are willing to make hateful statements like this.

4. Ben

Ben

I wouldn't say that the Church of England really has much of an effect on the government. We still have a few (flimsy and breakable) rules about religious broadcasting and the PM's religion, but all in all, religion plays a much less significant role in politics than it does in America. It's more about tradition than dogma-pretty churches and the monarchy. Though I do definitely disagree with the privileged position of the Church.

Anyway, I'd like to know who exactly said this. The Church of England has been known to have a handful at the top scared of any change because it might cause a split or make them downsize; similar things were said back when they started introducing female priests. But overall, they tend to eventually move with the times, albeit sometimes with a bit of lag.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If the worry is that the fundamental role of the Church is being attacked, then the fundamental role of the Church is too broad and needs to be curtailed.

6. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So sad that they feel the need to say this. Regardless of how anybody feels about it, it's putting a lot of people in awkward positions.

Though I have to say...the Anglican Church is now trying to prevent certain people from having the marriages they want, when it was itself formed in the first place (at least partially so that) someone could have the kind of marriage he wanted...delicious irony.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually religious idiots like them are the biggest threat in 500 years :slight_smile:

8. Zontar

The Bible never explicitly, in words beyond doubt, forbade female priests. This isn't something they'll eventually waver on. Eventually the Anglican Church will fall out of favor altogether, if it hasn't already.

9. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Yep, greatest threat ever:

Attached Files:

10. Ben

Ben

Proponents of the ban on female priests drew on the Bible in a very similar way to the way members of the CoE against same-sex marriage do today. Looking at Anglicanism altogether, you just have to look at the US Episcopal Church to see LGBT progression in the past ten years; granted, reaction in the CoE was largely disapproval, but I do believe they're moving in the same direction.