1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by lewis15, Jun 13, 2012.

1. lewis15

I just don't understand. Straight, and usually christian, people don't want gays to marry because they are afraid of what? Do they think if we marry we'll turn people gay? Maybe they think we'll take over? They hide behind the fact that "marriage is an institution between a man and a woman." Yet, 50% of all marriages end in divorce. Well since only about eight states allow gay marriage, we can't make up for the entire United State's divorce rate. What I really think they're afraid of is love, a lot of straight people marry for money and amenities, not the person. LGBT people actually love each other. So much, in fact, they want to marry. We're in it for the love, we could care less about the material aspects of it all.

I'm rambling, this subject just upsets me. :frowning2: I don't see why Christians say that gays will go to hell. Why not let us marry then, so we can enjoy our lives until we die and "go to hell".

Personally, if there is a hell, I'd be looking forward to it, I need to get my tan on. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Again, sorry for rambling, I just needed to vent. It just pisses me off. :tantrum:

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's generally because their minds are either too sated in the Bible so to them it's a sin. Or because they think marriage is theirs and theirs alone. Or they think us marrying someone of the same-sex will ruin their own marriage. Generally those are the three biggest reasons I hear from them. OH! And they also think only a man and woman can create a family despite most children taken from couples and put into foster homes, etc are children of straight parents.

3. dano22

dano22 Guest

The religious right wing agenda has always been the barrier to equal rights for gay people and always will. Luckily there are religious politicians who are coming out to support gay marriage such as Joe Biden and Barack Obama and as much as we want to blame religion for this it will be the religious left that will pave the away for every state to legalize gay marriage. Although there are some religious left who do not support gay rights like my Democratic rep does not support any gay rights.

I'm rambling, this subject just upsets me. :frowning2: I don't see why Christians say that gays will go to hell. Why not let us marry then, so we can enjoy our lives until we die and "go to hell".

I am personally offended by this as a gay christian who believes I am going to heaven but I understand your point.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Honestly, most people just don't understand what is going on with everything. There really isn't anything else to it. People either don't get what homosexuality really is, they don't get gay people because they have never "met one" or they are too afraid of what they think they understand.

I have met a lot of people who are against marriage equality and most of the time they are against it because they don't know about it. Some people do hate it because of biblical reasons, but a lot of people just don't like it because its different. There is also the fact that a lot of people think that we want to force every single church to recognize our marriage, which is not true at all.

I know its frustrating and it really doesn't make sense, but just keep in mind that most people are against it, not because they are evil, but because they don't know any better. Sadly, or fortunately, it is up to us to teach them and show them that its not a big deal.

5. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

I've always said people (Christians/any religious fanatic) get married solely to have sex without guilt (i.e. the marriage license being a permission from God). They don't understand two people (LGBT namely) actually wanting to marry for love, and love only.

This subject also really gets me down. I am so tired of religious groups thinking they can tell us what we can and cannot do. This isn't a monotheistic society. It never has been and it never will be. Live and let live.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I think we have to be careful about elevating LGBT weddings and making them this glorious union without any imperfections because it really isn't the truth. LGBT marriages have the same problems that straight marriages have. People still marry for the wrong reasons, they marry because they are too young, they get divorced, and some even have domestic abuse problems.

Saying that they are better than other marriages isn't fair to others and ourselves.

I know its not what your intention, but I do want to put that out there.

7. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

I didn't say gay couples have better marriages than straight couples'. Sorry if my statement came across that way.

8. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

Its a case of people wanting to restrict and ban others from doing things just because they don't do them. And thats enough for them, they don't even need a solid explanation why
    People are threatened when they see others being different to them.

Lol @ the OP's getting a tan in hell. Remember to pack SPF 50 sunscreen! I laugh when some believers try to scare others with 'hell'. I say bring it on, scare me with the non-existent.

9. Aldrick

Here is the real reason. It has absolutely nothing to do with marriage itself at all. The whole sanctity of the union stuff? That's bullshit. The rank and file believe that, but not those in power.

It comes down to this one simple fact: If gay people start to get married, and people begin to see our relationships as normal, and equal to those of straight people... they lose. They lose big time. Because when that happens, THEY will be the outcast. They will become the minority, and people will shout them down and view them for what they are: bigots.

In short, it's not about gay marriage per-say, it's about "normalizing" and de-stigmatizing gay relationships.

...and they are right. When we get the right to marry this will happen. They know it. We know it. That's why it is so important.

10. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Remember, up until recently, "gay" was something that people only heard about, but that didn't happen in their own neighborhoods (or so everyone thought). People who *were* gay or bi went about their lives thinking they were the only ones in the neighborhood and were secretly degenerate. Everyone else could continue to go about their happy fairytale lives thinking their kids were 'safe' from such sinful influences.

In short, gay or bi didn't exist and if it did, it was somewhere else.

Now it's all coming out in the open, and people's gay kids are coming out too. It's a splash of cold water in their faces and they don't like it. We've upset the 'natural order' of things, and the right wing christians want to put things back the way they were so they can breathe easier, and return to their happy dream worlds where we are just a fringe element of society, or don't exist at all.

We've disconnected straight christians from their matrix-like reality where they were the masters of the universe, and gave them a cold dose of reality. They are trying desperately to get back to their happy dream state.

I don't think they realize there IS no going back.

#10 lazyboy, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  11. Linthras

Linthras Guest

FIFY.
    Indeed.

12. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

Couldn't agree more.