1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dharun Ravi released from jail after serving 20 days for using webcam to spy on Rutge

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57455855/rutgers-webcam-spy-convict-released-from-jail/

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Dharun Ravi released from jail after serving 20 days for using webcam to spy on R

And this is how justice fails...well...least he's screwed for getting a real job.

3. Doctor Faustus

Re: Dharun Ravi released from jail after serving 20 days for using webcam to spy on R

:bang:

I have no words.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I still don't understand how people want to charge him with the death of Clementi. The situation is much more complex than one single kid pushing another to commit suicide. He isn't the only one to blame, and by doing so we are allowing everyone else responsible for his death to walk away guilt free.

5. Shevanel

This.

6. ezkill

Clementi was responsible for his own death. He chose to kill himself, he is responsible. As for how he felt, and how he was treated, that is a completely different story. It's a shame we think about people being responsible for his death instead of being responsible for the hurt and shame he felt.

As if the media attention were not enough, charging Dharun Ravi was overkill and added nothing to educating others on LGBT and bullying issues. Sadly, it has divided some people even further with regards to these issues. Way to go.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I truly do find it annoying when people blame suicide on the person. I'm not going to accuse them and ask if they know someone who's committed suicide because in all likelihood they probably have, and yes in some way Clementi was the one who chose to kill himself, but it was the indirect result of Ravi's actions.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I think we now need to start Operation Dharun Ravi Doesn't Get a Job. Ever.

9. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I am with you in that I don't think we should blame the person for committing suicide, but I will disagree with you when it comes to the bold part.

Usually when people commit suicide is because they feel overwhelmed and hopeless about life in general. Not one kid or one single incident, but life in general. That means that one single kid would have not had such an impact in Clementi's life is his environment (parents, culture, friends, etc.) were there for him. Sadly, he didn't have any support from anyone. Not his government, professors or even parents.

One single kid didn't kill Clementi. Our society as a whole did. To punish one single kid for the errors of many is just ridiculous to me. Specially when its obvious that Ravi has no history of bullying or homophobia. It was one stupid mistake from a kid, but it was not a hate crime or murder.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Ravi's problems aren't anywhere near over. There is a very good possibility he will be deported. He had the option to plead guilty to a sentence that would have had minimal jail time (if i remember right) and get help from the prosecutor's office to avoid deportation, but he turned that offer down.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Hence why I said indirect result. Ravi was a contributing factor but not THE factor that killed him...

12. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

My mistake then. I read direct result. But, if you do believe he was only a contributing factor, then why do you agree that we should blame him for everything? Why not then sentence every single person who was also a contributing factor?

I get that people want to use this as a way to scare bullies, but I just don't agree in making an example of this kid when he was only a contributing factor. He didn't attack any gay person just because they were gay, he isn't a homophobe and he has never bullied anyone in the past, yet we want to throw him in jail to show the real homophobes to back of. It just doesn't sit right with me.

From my understanding, if he would have taken the deal, he would have had to say that he did everything because Clementi was gay, and that was something that he didn't want to do. He much rather spend his time in jail.

For all I know it might be a "trick" to make play into people's emotions, but that's one hell of a stun just to play with people in my opinion.

13. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I don't really know what happened but I don't think one instance would make someone kill themselves. I agree with the side that says the kid probably already had issues and this may have pushed him over the edge. But then all the blame goes to "Ravi" when he isn't the only one to blame. It's not exactly fair for him. Did he intend for the kid to commit suicide?

People can't be all rainbows and smiles all the time? What if I was a boss and I fired someone from a job and they commmit suicide because of that? What if I made a mistake and said one mean comment to someone and then they off themselves? At what point does someone "drive" someone to kill themselves that it can be considered murder? There's no clear cut answer, so in all honesty I don't know what should happen!

But ya idk what happened but some of u have really strong feelings for one side that I don't think are 100% justified.