1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Southern Baptists: Gay rights not same as civil rights

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...red-luter-jr/2012/06/20/gJQArEPkpV_story.html

2. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The idea of the state sanctioning of religious belief to impose upon others what they are allowed to do within civil society is the true odd one out here.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Southern Baptists... Big surprise there.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I'm not surprised, these are probably, as a whole, the most bigoted and ignorant bunch as far as civil rights issues. If I'm not mistaken they aren't allowed to dance or play cards either. They sure know how to have fun, that group!

5. Emberstone

weird, so the southern baptist, who were the most vocally outspoken religious group against the abolishment of slavery, against african americans and women having the right to vote, and against the civil rights act, is now trying to claim they have any connection or knowledge of what a civil right is, since there is not a single civil rights fight in american history in which they were on the wrong side.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love seeing things like this because it makes me laugh. They fail to consider these similarities

Gay Rights Struggle Civil (Black) Rights Struggle
    Murdered for being gay Murdered for being black
    Teased and ridiculed Teased and ridiculed
    Prevented from entering churches Prevented from entering White establishments
    Holocaust Slavery
    Prevented from Marriage Prevented from Interracial marriage

I suppose the only real differences in some ways were that unlike black people, we gay people (unless we too were also Black) were allowed in establishments. There was also the whole aspect that Black people were not allowed to go to school with White people, but if one considers certain things, there are certain schools that prevent gays from attending (generally religious)

But while there are some differences, civil rights and gay rights are extremely similar in the fights. Also I talked about the Holocaust because while yes, we were not put into slavery (unless you count BDSM fantasies people engage in lol), Holocaust was still an event that happened to the gay community (and of course the Jewish community as well), gay men were put into concentration camps if they were not seen as "masculine" enough to be straight. So while unlike Black people which slavery encompassed much of the population, while Holocaust only encompassed a small portion, it still was a horrific event and could in some manner be compared to the slavery aspect of the civil rights movement.

But I digress, I only brought this up because I was talking to my father about it earlier tonight. Sorry, just wanted to put it on computer.

7. Emberstone

The Religious Right doesnt understand that african americans did not invent the concept of a civil rights movement.

Oh, in my first post, I meant 'weren't', not were.

8. Travel Tech

Whenever I hear about the Southern Baptists protesting something I'm a part of or support, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside cause I know I'm doing a good job.

9. Willisilliw

There is a little something called the bill of rights, they should check it out.

10. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a previous southern baptist I still feel a little sick when I hear people bashing them, but what they are doing is wrong. It makes me sad. The church I've been to for the past few years is a member of the SBC, when I came out to one of the adults there who works with the youth she was fine with it. My parents are southern baptist and they're fine with it. So at least not all of them are as awful on this issue, though I know my church itself is homophobic. They never really talked about homosexuality there, not very often. It was more modern I guess than alot of baptist churches.

There's a church near here that recently left the SBC because of their differing views on LGBT+ issues, I thought that was wonderful to hear.

11. Emberstone

There tend to always be disconnects between congregants, and the governing bodies like SBC and ELCA, etc... Just look at catholics. the church is against contraceptives and gay rights, but the range of support by the actual catholics typically on those issues is like 55-65% support them.

The problem with the SBC itself is that it technically is not a religious orginization. It is a political organization. It exists to perpetuate a power system for the people who are corrupt enough to climb to the top. There are very few church bodies that are not corrupt at the top, the episcopals being the only one that comes to mind.

Catholic people tend to be good people, and i know some good southern baptist people, but the people at the top of those denominations are as unchristian as it is possible to be.

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry for how my thing worked out, there was suppose to be a tad more spacing between the Civil Rights and Gay rights things I posted about. Instead EC apparently just put a single space between >_>