1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education on Sexual Diversity in Dutch Schools

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by justinf, Jun 21, 2012.

1. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As this section mostly contains bad news, I figured some of you might like some good news for a change too, even though it is only from my small little country :lol:

Just so you know that at least somewhere things are going (and have been going, and probably will keep going) really really well. :slight_smile:

So, this is an article that was posted three days ago:
    *I had to translate this into English, so there are probably some mistakes*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Schools working on education on sexual diversity

News | 06-19-2012
    140 primary and secondary schools can start working on sexual diversity education for the next two years on an experimental basis with the OCW's support. The selected schools will be committed to create a safe and tolerant school climate, also for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) youth. Schools can apply to be a part of this pilot starting today.

Tolerant school

It is expected that most schools will pay attention to sexuality and sexual diversity by the start of the academic year 2012-2013. Schools have indicated that they would like specific directions to be able to do this. Minister Van Bijsterveldt has therefore discussed the matter with de sector organizations and has decided to grant schools the opportunity to apply for a pilot. Goal of the pilot is to determine which methods work best for a safe and tolerant school, so that other schools can benefit from it as well.

Participating schools will obviously focus on sexuality and sexual diversity in class, but that is not all. Sexual diversity will also be mentioned when there is contact between parents and the school. Furthermore, the schools will organize activities in which, for example, students and teachers give their opinions on bullying and discrimination through debate and roll play. Lastly, schools will provide a confidant whom students can talk to about sexual diversity.

Major Goals

In February 2012, the Cabinet has decided to obligate schools to educate students on sexual diversity. The State Government usually determines all guidelines as to what exactly students should know about specific subjects at the end of primary and secondary school. These guidelines are formulated in the so-called core goals. In order to obligate sexual diversity education in school, a change in these core goals is necessary. Schools can then decide on their own how they want to achieve these goals.
    The Cabinet works hard on trying to change the core goals before the end of this year. At this moment, a proposal is at the Council of State to add 'education on sexual diversity' to the core goals.

Applying

Long before the actual obligation, a lot of schools have already started paying attention to the subject. The government provides schools that would like to participate in the pilot with over 1.2 million Euros. Schools can apply until July 31. Selection for participation is on a first-come-first-serve basis.

2. person54

This is why I wish I could live in Holland so badly and holly crap, over 1.2 million Euro if they enter the program. I remember visiting Amsterdam sort of by accident while I was trying to get to Germany for school and I was blown away by how kind and respectful people were. Go Holland!!!

3. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I don't like to nitpick, but please use Netherlands instead of Holland. It's like calling the whole of Great Britain, England.

4. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What's the difference between Holland and the Netherlands? :s Don't we all say "Hup Holland Hup" during the EK and WK? And we refer to the whole country of the Netherlands by doing that... I really think they can be used interchangeably. Most elderly people say Holland; it's just an older form.
    Plus no specific place in the Netherlands is called Holland, so the metaphor Great Britain - England doesn't really apply here.

Not trying to go off-topic, just want person54 to know she did not say anything wrong :slight_smile:

#4 justinf, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  5. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Not me. The difference is that Holland used to be a duchy which ecompassed what is now North and South Holland, which is less than half of the Netherlands.

No it's a symbol of the dominance of the Randstad/Holland. The Netherlands have never officially been called Holland as a nation, always a variation of Netherlands, whether as a republic or as a kingdom.
    Let me re-emphasise I won't hate you for saying Holland, I just prefer people calling it the Netherlands.

It does: North + South Holland, which used to be the duchy of Holland. This is where the name originates from, the West of the Netherlands, not the Netherlands as a whole.

6. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah ok, I do get where you're coming from now.

Yeah I know that officially, Holland was the western part (I'm Dutch too, in case you hadn't noticed :icon_wink). I'm just saying that it doesn't matter what the official meaning is or was, as these days there are a LOT of Dutch people that say Holland and mean the Netherlands, even though it may not be accurate. (I think most Dutch people don't even know where the name Holland actually originated from, especially the younger people) Oh and my American family all say Holland too; it's more informal I guess.

But I guess it's just a personal opinion, then. In English I never say the Netherlands. In Dutch I almost always do :slight_smile:

Ok sorry, this was it, everyone, I won't go off-topic again :eusa_sile

7. Aquilo

I like it, first time in ages I'm happy with our government/parliament
    Now hope it makes our schools a bit more tolerant

(Holland was a county by the way, not a duchy)

8. person54

Wow, thanks for having the discussion you two, I always wondered how the word Holland came to be another name for the Netherlands.

9. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    God. I live in Ireland, and we waste so much money on a pile of crap... ALL the time.

€1.2 million is nothing in the grand scheme of things, when we're wasting billions and billions!

Money could be used to set up amazing programs like this, and instead it's wasted.

10. manshow

manshow Guest

Man, that's a great news for me. I find the world is finally opening up to a new perception. This ha really made my day. I'm just chilling. Thanks for sharing this info, bro!

11. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I noticed :slight_smile:

I know, my point is that not all Dutch people feel that way.

It's not uncommon for foreigners to use the wrong name for foreign countries, cities etcetera. Some foreigners for example think Feyenoord is a city in the Netherlands.

Yea didn't mean to get so off topic either.

---------- Post added 25th Jun 2012 at 09:53 AM ----------

Thanks for the correction. Stupid mistake on my part.

Ot I like that they're doing this but I'm still hestitant about how well/thouroughly it will be applied.
    Just realised I made another mistake by referring to the U.K. as Great Britain, hehe.

#11 Linthras, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  12. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Admit it... you're just insulted that Justin essentially treats Frisia as a colony of his native Holland (okay, I jest :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

More on topic: it does seem to be a decent approach! Especially the "confidant" would be something many schools sorely need. I do feel lucky I came from a school where we already had a confidant for tricky issues. However, the confidant was my mom, so that kind of made it impossible to use the service xD

When it rains in the Netherlands, it tends to drip in Belgium, so I'll be curious to see if any of that filters down here...

13. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol! But, actually.. officially I'm not a native.

You cracked me up about the confidant part :lol:
    But yeah maybe you're right about Belgium; in the sense of how liberal they are, I guess Belgium and the Netherlands (noticed? especially for you, Linthras:icon_wink) are pretty evenly matched.. so it's about time there too :slight_smile:

14. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I understand why you might think that, but I'm actually from Twente (Overijsel). I just live in Friesland. I have no special interest in Friesland.

---------- Post added 25th Jun 2012 at 02:34 PM ----------

Aww shucks. (*hug*)

15. manshow

manshow Guest

This conv is still on and I believe friesland is different from other places, but not sure what it is different in :slight_smile:

16. ArtSaves

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These are the kinds of things that makes me hate my country a little bit. Here in Colombia, a few months ago something like that was approved, but it was not very well received by the public opinion. Some people made a really big deal out of it, trying to prohibit the "homosexual class", as they called it. It was really surprising the amount of people who were against a simple class that was meant to teach children not to discriminate and be tolerant. However there were also many people who supported the idea, which was great.

I'm really glad to see that things like these can be succesfull in other countries, maybe we can learn something from you :slight_smile:

17. silkfrog1292

In a city where schools are still predominantly run by the Catholic and Aglican Churches, i doubt stuff like this would ever be realised...*shrugs*

18. BajanBoy13

I actually asked this guy from Amsterdam which one people there use and he said that it kinda differs but moslty Holland for sports fans :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. RebelD

This is awesome! Let's hope the rest of the world will try to keep up!
    Go Dutchies!!! :thumbsup: