1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queensland ‘downgrades’ civil partnerships and will ban gay surrogacy

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/06/2...ivil-partnerships-and-will-ban-gay-surrogacy/

2. sguyc

Why is Australia so conservative when it comes to LGBT issues? I think a lot of people around here have a perception of them as similar to Canada, but it seems they are closer to the US on these issues.

3. Danielle

Danielle Guest

Australia isn't hugely conservative. Queensland is a conservative state plus have a very conservative government with an absolute majority. Out of a legislature of 89 seats only 7 are left of centre.

Support for same sex marriage is around sixty percent in all the polls released. Most states are following public opinion.

4. Mad Man L

Queensland generally is a more conservative state, due to higher amounts of the population living outside South-East Queensland, and as a general rule, these rural areas are more conservative. Rural Queensland (especially Katter's electorate) are the closest you will get to USA-style 'deep south' kind of stuff.

But the reason for the huge LNP majority isn't because of the state being homophobic, its because the previous Labor government was so shit even the unions were voting against it (which is a sign the ALP had truly lost the plot), and Newman himself supports gay marriage. The issue is, the 'deep south' members of the LNP are extremely against gay marriage, or gay anything.

Public opinion is in favour of gay marriage in Australia, but as marriage is a federal issue, and because we have the worst Prime Minister in one corner and an opposition leader who never puts forward any proper ideas, we won't see gay marriage being legalised any time soon.

5. Porphyrogenitus

It's worse cause Campbell Newman (our idiot of a Premier) has previously said he's in favour of gay marriage. Katter's Australian Party ran ads against him to that effect during the election, trying to steal the far right. So he's just pandering to the right wing of his party, who, in turn, are promoting the beliefs of a relatively small portion of the population.

*ultra-Catholic opposition leader.

6. Emberstone

I love that they have a party that has both the words conservative, and liberal in it.

Sarah Palin just raised her head from the pile of slobber she sleeps in to try to figure out if she supports them, or if they are trying to destroy jesus.

7. Mad Man L

Remember, rural Queensland holds these views, and around a third of his MPs represent rural Queensland. The LNP metropolitan area members don't hold these views. He has to somewhat pander to the right, because just like how the Greens are eating away at left-wing voters, Katter's Australia Party is eating away at right-wing voters.

And Abbott is far from 'ultra-catholic'. I can stomach the idea of Tony Abbott being our Prime Minister. And no, I don't like Palin, Bachmann, Santorum or other more extreme Republican retards. My main issue is politicians promise things but never deliver e.g. the Kippa-Ring Rail Link. Promised for the last 40 years by every state government (and some federal) in some form. And it's STILL not built.

Australia is different. Let me educate you, and those who do not reside in Australia.

Australia, being in the southern hemisphere, is all the wrong way around. We drive on the left side of the road, we put our cars in reverse to drive forward, and the Liberal Party is the conservative right-wing party. On the other side of politics, we have the progressive (or in American terms, liberal) Labor party, which recently has become more centrist. Then you have the Greens, a smaller staunch left-wing party.

By 'Liberal', the founder of the Party, Sir Robert Menzies, more meant liberal as in libertarian - smaller government etc. This is why I avoid using the term 'liberal' by itself - it can get far too confusing.

8. Danielle

Danielle Guest

Politics in The US is far different to Australia.

Social issues don't divide the parties as much. The Liberal Party on a whole are more conservative on social issues but they have memebers who would certainly vote for same-sex marriage legislation given the oppurtunity.

The only reason that The Liberal Party don't have a free vote is because they have a leader that comes from the religious right. Their previous leader (who was far better) was much more of a libertarian and would be much more likely to support same sex marriage.