1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Egypt says gay people are not “real people”

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://bikyamasr.com/70402/egypt-says-gay-people-are-not-real-people/

2. Kidd

Kidd Guest

This is exactly why I can't possibly care any less about the middle east, especially during the Arab spring, and it's why I still don't really care about Syria to be totally honest. Call me cold-blooded, but I'm sure gay rights and people like me will finally get the respect they deserve in Egypt now that the Muslim Brotherhood is running the show.

3. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mind you, right now it's more like a secular military junta... (That Islamist-dominated Egyptian parliament was dissolved by SCAF, which is now pretty much in charge of drafting the new Constitution...)

Horseradish is no sweeter than radish, as they say in Russia...

4. Zontar

Aaaaand that's what you get when you let Islamists (not Muslims, calm down) overrun a country.

Sorry Muslim Brotherhood...."Jihad" is certainly not the way and Islam is not the (political) answer. To those who were enthusiastic about the Arab Spring, be careful what you wish for.

5. Philvanuirle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have an egyptian friend, and a muslin friend and they accept it. Well I'll say that Egyptians are Not real people. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: They don't care about anything.

6. Aldrick

This isn't really a big surprise. Gays were discriminated against, even arrested, before the Revolution. It will continue after the Revolution.

Kidd -

I would take the same view as you, except for the fact that there are LGBT people living in the Middle East suffering in conditions worse than the ones we suffer through here in the West. While I certainly think our efforts on equality should be focused primarily here, we can't forget that being LGBT doesn't end at the border. We exist in every country throughout the world. When, eventually, we have achieved equality here in the West, it'll give us the time and resources to reach out to LGBT people in other nations such as Egypt.

It will also have the West rallied behind the idea and belief that our rights ARE Human Rights, and the majority of the people in the West would find themselves appalled by such statements - not just LGBT people.

7. ANightDude

People tend to forget that the Middle East and the West are two completely different worlds, brought up in two different cultures, with two different religions, and two very different views on the world. One advanced much quicker than the other.

We've just got to give it time. The LGBT rights activists in Egypt said themselves their country is simply not ready, and I'd agree. Look how long it took for the people to rise up and topple their dictators. The west did that 200+ years ago. In time, in the future, LGBT will be accepted and have rights in the Middle East, but it'll take time. We can't just expect the rest of the world to all be within our viewpoints.

8. Mogget

I'm still a fan of the Arab Spring. Democracy is messy, but I think a bad democratic government is far preferable to a bad dictatorship.

9. RedState

There's no nut like a religious nut...and the Middle East is filled with them.

Yes, I would say that gay folks over there do have a more difficult go of it than we do over here...at least we don't get executed for for being gay.

I think this is going to be bad.

I'll take a messy dictatorship that is friendly to the United States (meaning we can buy them off) over a bunch of Muslim kooks any day of the week.

10. ANightDude

I think it all goes down to how they treat their people. Just like we've seen, Muslim dictators treated their people like crap. The people got tired of their shit, rose up, kicked them up or killed them. If a dictatorship is giving the people medical care, education, rights, protection, etc., and the people want it, then let them have it.

The difference with religious nuts in the Middle East and over here is that, over there, they get away with more often depending on where they live. Over here you can't do everything a religious nut would like. Though I 100% assure you it would be as bad over here as it is over there had we not gotten the proper laws against nutcases.

11. Aldrick

Yeah, I think things are going to get worse in Egypt at least for the time being. However, it just means a greater number of crackdowns, arrests, and maybe executions. So, by worse it's really, "just more of the same... more frequently."

The West should really begin funneling money into Egypt's secularists. Help them organize. Help them with PR in winning the support of the people. Eventually, the dictatorial pricks and religious nut cases are going to screw up. Things in Egypt aren't going to get better any time soon, and people are going to look for someone to blame.

If the secularists have a way to get their message out, they can easily put the blame on whomever is in power. In the end, when people are desperate, they'll even vote against their own personal morals.

When the secularists come to power, have a plan to flood them with aid, stabilize their government, their country, and begin the plan to bring them kicking and screaming into the 21st Century.

With a little election rigging, voter suppression of the religious nuts, and good times for the general population... things could go very well.

Oh, secularist Egyptian Huey Long, where art thou?

I'm a bad man. :lol:

12. ANightDude

You guys need to remember this is just an Egyptian Delegation for the UN. Right now Egypt doesn't even have a government, Morsi is still Pres-elect, and the military is still control. There isn't any clear position on anything, let alone gay rights.

Morsi has declared already he'll be a secular president and not have Egypt an Islamist Democracy. So there you go.

13. Rob999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I can understand why people are being cynical about the Muslim brotherhood... Khomeini and friends turned on their secular 'allies' extremely quickly in Iran.

14. ANightDude

Morsi resigned from the Muslim Brotherhood when he won the election.

15. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually... I'm still going to be hopeful. Not hopeful the Middle East will turn into a prosperous region, with liberty and prosperity for all, over the course of a fortnight.

But... it's only through actually trying to build a democracy and failing, that you end up building a better one in the future.
    In Europe, that process took some 30 to 50 years (essentially Europe was one revolution after the other from 1789 to 1870. And many of the new democracies were run by pretty unsavoury types in the beginning). In the U.S. it took shorter, but it was still years of unrest before a stable government emerged.

So I'm not going to claim the current situation in the middle east is good. But it's also possibly a necessary step on the road to better things.

And, in the final analysis, I think claiming that democracy is good, but only for us, and not for others if it means we can't push them around anymore is a rather hypocritical stance to take.

16. Rob999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Err... are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure his party is the Muslim Brotherhood's party. Anyway, I'm not saying he will create a theocracy or anything, but I can understand why people are skeptical of the claim that he will create a free an democratic society.

I actually do think that while Morsi may not be the best in the short run, the fact that the military favourite didn't win is very good for the long term implications. I'm interested to see how this will all go over the next few years :grin:. Not optimistic at all about Libya though.

17. Probablyrandom

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sorry, but that really is quite cold-hearted. Personally the lives of those people is in a mantle much much higher than whether gay people have rights there or not. It's a massacre, gay rights should be at the very bottom of the list of things that need to be solved.

18. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not surprised and have gotten to the point of not caring. Egypt, Dubai and Abu Dhabi can forget about ever getting my business (they were the only three places in Middle East I was contemplating visiting but now don't plan to).

19. BrokenWings

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry, but what does that have to do with anything? I don't mean to be rude, but a government's opinion about one subject never represent the population or the country. You literally have no clue what you're missing out on here. Egypt is by far one of the most amazing places on the face of the earth, I don't think that the government's views towards LGBT rights should change you wanting to go there or not.

20. redstormrising

I have a friend who did peace corps work in a place where the government was hostile to LGBT folk and she wound up being detained and threatened with prosecution on suspicion of being gay. She left early and got out of there as fast as she could; it tainted her entire experience and she has anxiety at even the mention of the country now. Egypt certainly has an incredible and rich cultural history, and i would love to visit - but I'm not going to willingly travel somewhere that being myself could put me in harm's way. I have no intention of visiting certain states in my own country for similar reasons.