Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Current Events, World News, & LGBT News

Current Events, World News, & LGBT News A news forum for posting and discussing news topics regarding the latest breaking news, stories from around the world, and any LGBT related news updates that you and others may find interesting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25th Jun 2012, 05:28 PM   #1
EC's resident Philosopher at Large

Orientation: Male Peeps
Out Status: Closet? What closet?

Default Teen lesbian couple shot in Texas park: one dead, other seriously injured

Quote:
Two teenage girls in a relationship were found with gunshot wounds to the head in a south Texas park, with one of them dying from her injuries, media reports say. Police were searching for their assailants.

Mollie Judith Olgin, 19, and Mary Christine Chapa, 18, were found in knee-deep grass in a nature area in Portland by a couple Saturday, said Portland Police Chief Randy Wright, who confirmed to msnbc.com details first reported by the Corpus Christi Caller Times.

Olgin, originally from Ingleside but recently living in Corpus Christi, died; Chapa, of Sinton, was rushed to a hospital where she had surgery and was in serious but stable condition on Sunday, local NBC affiliate kristv.com reported. Wright said Chapa was still in the hospital on Monday.

Friends told kristv.com that the girls had been together five months. Wright said he didn’t have any information about their relationship, noting that “we understood from their friends that they were (in a romantic relationship). I know from … Mollie’s parents that they were very close.”

When asked if police had been able to determine if the girls' sexuality played any role in the shootings, Wright told msnbc.com: “That’s always something that we’re looking for, but as of this point, we have not been able to establish that that had anything to do with the attack.”
This is awful. I hope the girl still in hospital manages to pull through.

More here: Teen lesbian couple found shot in Texas park - U.S. News
Old 25th Jun 2012, 05:31 PM   #2
fireworks

Tournaments Won: 41

Default Re: Teen lesbian couple shot in Texas park: one dead, other seriously injured

I read the title and nearly threw up.

Apparently, we live in a civilised world these days. Oddly I can never quite see it.
Old 26th Jun 2012, 01:43 PM   #3
EC's Music Addict

Orientation: I like those of the female variety. ;)
Out Status: Out to everyone except a few family members

Default Re: Teen lesbian couple shot in Texas park: one dead, other seriously injured

I just saw this story on my homepage. I got about halfway through it before I had to stop...It was to depressing for me....This world sucks.
Old 26th Jun 2012, 01:52 PM   #4
EC Addict

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Stuck

Utterly disgusting. Killing anyone is downright horrific, but if these girls were targeted because of their sexuality...

Words fail me. The world is supposed to have matured from acts like this, it's just a shame that some people can't acknowledge that and grow up with the rest of us.

I hope all the best for the future families of the two girls even though at this stage it is looking pretty grim.
Old 26th Jun 2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Well Known

Orientation: not exactly straight?
Out Status: three friends

There aren't any words for this. It's unspeakably horriffic.
Catkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jun 2012, 09:35 PM   #6
This space for lease.

Orientation: I like guys
Out Status: Out to everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Passing View Post
Utterly disgusting. Killing anyone is downright horrific, but if these girls were targeted because of their sexuality...
Yes I concur that killing anyone for any reason is horrific. Thought I would caution people that we don't yet know the motivation for these murders.
All the problems of the world could be settled easily if men were only willing to think. The trouble is that men very often resort to all sorts of devices in order not to think, because thinking is such hard work.
--Thomas J. Watson
starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2012, 12:29 AM   #7
Tim
Psycho Glitter B*tch

Orientation: I Give Up On Labels - I Like Guys
Out Status: Out as Gay

Tournaments Won: 5

It's horrible yes, but saying they were targetted because of their sexuality when that hasn't been proven yet will get no one anywhere except for more people mad that people are calling it a hate crime without any proof. Were they most likely targeted because of their sexuality? Yes. Do we know that for a fact? No.

Until we do, it's just a horrible murder that never should have happened in the first place, as with all murders.
Old 27th Jun 2012, 07:49 PM   #8
Purple Lover

Orientation: Bi/Gray-A
Out Status: Just kind of open.

This is so sad, imagine the nightmarish horror when that girl finds out her girlfriend died. If she makes it that is. Just awful. I'm so sorry.
Old 27th Jun 2012, 10:59 PM   #9
EC Addict

Out Status: Some people

This is very sad. I feel really bad for their families and for the girls. They were/are so young. This didn't need to happen. I don't know if it happened as a hate crime or not but it's still so sad.
midwestgirl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2012, 11:14 PM   #10
ภูมิใจที่ได้เป็นเกย์

Tournaments Won: 3

My order of reactions...
SkyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2012, 11:52 PM   #11
EC Addict

Orientation: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

I read this and honestly all I could think of was what if that had been my best friend? She and her girlfriend went to a bar in Texas last year, they even kissed at New Year's and were fine, but after this story I'm just like O_O
Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2012, 01:31 AM   #12
Showin' Full Respect

Orientation: Demisexual Heterosexual

That is sick for people killing others because of their sexuality!!
NiCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jun 2012, 11:05 PM   #13
Jesus is a biscuit!

Why am I not surprised? This is simply digusting and I can't think of any other word to describe it. Loss is hard enough as it is, but losing someone like this is the worst thing I can imagine. :'(
HunterN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2012, 01:49 PM   #14

Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: Some people

I read about this on tumblr, I almost start crying. People can be so horrible sometimes, I just don't understand.
Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2012, 01:55 PM   #15
Psycho gotta highkick

Orientation: Gay. Can't change. And will never try again.
Out Status: I BETTER be pretty darn out at this point!

I read the title and was hoping with all my might that they meant a shot as in, a picture was shot of them...

Straight people say that gays are the ones that go to hell, but then go out and do stuff like this or any other kind of radical form of protest.

I know not ALL straights are like that, but it's just a shame that this is the kinda people in the worl we live in

-Hope Estheim (Final Fantasy XIII)
Emberblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2012, 01:57 PM   #16
lonewolf77

Tournaments Won: 41

I hope they find whoever did this horrible thing. My heart goes out to the two girls' families and friends.