1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California's bill restricting ex-gay therapies passes next level...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Caoimhe Fayre, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Caoimhe Fayre

2. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Sounds good to me! Too bad it only applies to California, though- I hope more states will ban this sort of harmful "therapy" on minors.

3. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

^ Diddo, I have heard of these sort of therapy's existing in NY, I wish they would ban it here.

4. SkyDiver

Does anyone know if there are laws against ex-gay therapy (aka torture) in Canada?

5. Caoimhe Fayre

there aren't currently. definitely something we need to work on!

6. SkyDiver

Agreed. I guess the marriage equality fight has been won once and for all, but there definitely seem to be more things we can fight for.

7. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Does anybody actually DO that here. I've never heard of it.

8. SkyDiver

Me neither, but it could be happening and just goes unreported. Why would it happen in the States and not here?

I read a few weeks about some old policy in AB's government that was exposed by our premier.. still referring to homosexuals as having "mental illnesses" or some trash like that.

9. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I was under the impression The Charter prevented stuff like that. You know, equal treatment and all that, specifically naming sexual orientation as a "no-no" in terms of using it to judge someone. Not to mention the Human Rights Commission might have a field day with a case like that.

I suppose it could still be happening and going unreported, or someone may consider it helpful... I dunno.

---------- Post added 29th Jun 2012 at 10:58 PM ----------

I stand corrected...

I found one place that does it. Exodus International runs a single ministry in Canada. It's in Winnepeg. It purports to offer workshops on, "Self-identified unwanted same-sex attraction."

Weekend Seminars

10. Caoimhe Fayre

we also have a lot of Courage factions in Canada, which claim to be about chastity (celibacy) instead of about changing orientation, but which will refer members to Exodus programs and to JiM programs.

it's less common, I would think, to find someone claiming to be a psychologist who is willing to attempt sexual conversion therapy, however. we are lucky that we don't have quack organizations like NARTH - a Canadian would have to move the Southern US to access that organization, and then they are out of our jurisdiction anyway.

but we probably still have "straight camps", I wouldn't be surprised. after all, those could be run by anyone...

11. ANightDude

Outta be a national bill instead. Maybe at some point in the future.