1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I sent a letter to congress reguarding doma and got a reply

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Mej7, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Mej7

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here is the reply I recieved via e-mail:

July 2, 2012

Dear (my name):

Thank you for making an effort to communicate with me regarding the "Defense of Marriage Act," P.L. 104-199. As your representative in Congress, I appreciate the opportunity to learn your views.

As you may know, this law, which was passed in 1996 does not recognize same-sex marriages and allows individual states to refuse to recognize such marriages performed in other states. Section 3 of this statute requires that marriage, for purposes of federal benefit programs, must be defined as the union of one man and one woman. As I understand the intent of the legislation, it was enacted to protect federalism interests and state sovereignty in the area of domestic relations, historically an issue of almost exclusive state concern. Moreover, this statute permits but does not require states to deny recognition to same-sex marriages in other states, affording states with strong public policy concerns the discretion to effectuate that policy. Thus, in my opinion, it can be argued that this law is grounded not in hostility to homosexuals but in an intent to afford the states the discretion to act as their public policy on same-sex marriage dictates.

Recently, out of a belief that there are "no reasonable arguments to support the constitutionality of this legislation," the Obama Administration instructed the US Department of Justice to stop defending this law in legal proceedings.

Congresswoman Vicky Hartzler of Missouri introduced H.Con.Res. 25 calling on the Obama Administration to reverse its decision not to defend the Defense of Marriage Act. As House members and Speaker Boehner initiate measures to address this issue, I will carefully consider this legislation.

It is my belief that the concept of "marriage" has been and should continue to be defined as a union between a man and a woman. At the same time, I would not look favorably on legislation which discriminates against citizens of the same sex who seek to cohabitate. This is a highly emotional and controversial subject. I recognize that not all of the people in the First District will agree with my position, however, as your elected representative I remain committed to respecting the views of all my constituents. In this regard, I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,
    Dan Benishek M. D.
    Member of Congress

P.S. I would also like to invite you to visit my website, Welcome to Congressman Dan Benishek | Congressman Dan Benishek, for further information. If you have not already done so, please submit your email address so that my office may keep you informed on issues in Congress

---------- Post added 2nd Jul 2012 at 06:45 AM ----------

Wanna help me write a responce to this? Post your ideas, as well as your reactions to this letter! thx <3

2. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Thank you for your reply. It is very heartwarming to see representatives keep an open dialog with their constituents. I understand this is a delicate topic, and as a visible representative accountable to a voting public, you are in a delicate position that demands careful actions.

I have carefully considered your position and would politely request that you co-author an investigation into the possibility of forming a committee to oversee the planning stages of a 5-step program under Pentagon management to develop the technology sufficiently advanced to be able to remove the stick that is wedged firmly up your asshole".

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^^ This.

He completely backhanded you like a tool and had no sympathy for you whatsoever even though he claimed to.

4. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for your reply, though it is insightful to see what the congress thinks of same sex marriage. Although you were honest to me, it clearly means that you have no intent to further GLBT issues like same sex marriage. It is thus with my greatest pleasure to announce that you've just lost votes from the LGBT community!

5. suninthesky

Bahahaa

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um while I respect everyone being funny, I think obviously it won't get any message across. The best bet would be this:

To Congressman Dan Benishek, M. D.,

Thank you for your reply. While I appreciate your response to me as I'm sure you receive many messages a day, it is a disappointment to hear how you feel. I understand this is a delicate topic, and as a visible representative accountable to a voting public, you are in a delicate position that demands careful actions.

I must respectfully state however that due to your position on this issue, I can not in good conscience send my support your way in the next election as it does not correspond with my own stance on this issue. I hope in the future you may eventually evolve on the subject, and perhaps some day will vote for marriage equality.

Once again, I must thank-you for your respectful response, and I wish you the best regardless of our conflicting stances.

Sincerely,
    (Your name)

I included part of Spatula's because he really phrased that part quite well.

7. Philvanuirle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In my opinion, using harsh words, such a the very last word, can show them that we are not worthy of respect. This congressman has shown his respectful views, regardless of he liked it or not. Furthermore, we must show sophistication to their eyes and show that we demand equality such as the women did in the 1900s for their own equality.