1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U.S. files DOMA challenges

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://www.scotusblog.com/2012/07/u-s-doma-challenges-filed/

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok so just curious what this means specifically? Like originally I thought it was huge that the President's own office has actually filed against DOMA now? But as I went on I just became confused about what it actually means...

3. Tim

Tim

I would like to know this as well.

The way it's phrased in that article is like they're purposely trying to confuse people, lol.

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

From what I understood from the article, I think that the DOJ and other branches of the government are just petitioning the court to grant standing to BLAG and the house to challenge the law during the appeal process. Maybe to prevent the scenario that happened during the Proposition 8 appeals. I think this is just a way to ensure that if it does go to the Supreme Court, we'll get a ruling on the merits and not a technicality.

5. kris B

I think Kidd is right. The main effect of this is that now there are several parties (the House, DOJ) urging the Supreme Court to take up the case, so that should increase the likelihood of it being taken up by the court in the next term.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's just hope Obama wins again so we don't have Romney reneging on the President's not defending it. Otherwise, then we have some issues again..I think.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone