1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Court Clears Attempted Rapist Because His Victim was Trans

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fugs, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    http://www.thelocal.se/41822/20120704/

I'm incredibly disgusted right now.

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow...complete fail on the part of this court...good job >_>

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Agh, this is disgusting...

Our country sucks at handling rape cases so it doesn't come as a surprise, but agh. In florida you can't even be "legally raped" if you are a man according to the law. Its fucking ridcs...

Edit: This was in Sweden?! Man, now it comes as a shock. Sad stuff :/ The only thing I can say is that they guy at least didn't go free and has to stay in jail for 4 years. That's at least something. Still ridcs tho.

4. Night Rain

What's sickening is that people actually argue (on other forums) that it can't even be attempted rape because it was impossible to carry out a rape (even though he clearly intended to rape the victim, hence the word "attempted").

Are you sure it's 4 years? I think it's a bit much for assault and some other sources say 4 months.

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

According to this article, it says its 4 years. It could be wrong for all I know, though

6. Night Rain

Yeah I know. :grin: I was actually referring to the article, not your quote.
    And after reading through numerous articles, I'm quite certain it's 4 months.:icon_sad:

7. Aldrick

I don't think it needs to be stated again just how sick, disgusting, and disturbing this ruling is... okay, maybe it does. It needs to be stated repeatedly. Again and again until it fucking sinks into everyones head.

However, I want to point something out. At first, I thought this was some backward African country with its extreme anti-gay bigotry. It wasn't. THIS IS FUCKING SWEDEN.

Oh. My. Fucking. God. What the hell? SWEDEN? REALLY? ... SWEDEN? Have you lost your mind? I seriously hope that this story makes major news across Europe, but in particular in the Swedish press. There needs to be some heavy pressure applied to not only this Judge, but to the country as a whole to make things like this impossible... Like, change the laws so this can never happen again. I mean... WTF? Sweden!?

I don't even think something like that would fly in my home state of Virginia (though it wouldn't surprise me if it did). Again. WTF SWEDEN... just WTF?!

EDIT: I just want to note, that I also found the way the article was written extremely offensive. Putting some of the words into quotes like they did seems like an attempt to cast doubt on the facts. In some places, it seemed blatantly insulting to the victim, like putting her gender "she" into quotes.

#7 Aldrick, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  8. SkyDiver

This is so.... wrong......

9. Caoimhe Fayre

yeah, I also found the way the article was written to be highly offensive. :frowning2:

and western society needs to start taking rape and attempted rape a LOT more seriously... I mean, with rulings like this and such short sentences given for rapes and attempted rapes, can we really wonder at the statistic which shows that one in three women will be sexually assaulted before the age of 18 years? (in Canada, anyway

this whole issue just.. really gets me angry. we should be locking rapists away for a lot longer than 4 years, let alone 4 months...

10. Bradley

11. Hot Pink

Except that this kind of thing happens more often. It's actually just surprising that it made an article. People have gotten away scott-free with raping trans women in the past because they're trans, so they don't count. Even after states amended their laws to say that men can be raped, trans people still didn't count. It's only until very recently that we have started to be treated like human beings in the courts.

Is it really necessary to refer to the victim as a "man," though? Especially because she's going through hormone treatment, which means she was diagnosed with gender identity disorder. She wasn't a crossdresser, she's a woman.

12. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Used the title from the original site I found it on but forgot to change it when I changed the link over to the site that site found it on. Sorry Y,Y

13. Night Rain

Call me ignorant but I tend to call a transgender person by their biological gender, unless he or she asks to be referred to otherwise. I get very confused when people put their gender as their desired gender and not their biological one. If they have undergone a sex change then their gender will be much easier for everyone to define. Until then, it's confusing to the readers when an article says "a man raped a trans woman". So is the trans woman a FtM or a MtF? If it's a woman then why isn't it a rape? I think the article using the word "man" is understandable.

14. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's actually really really offensive to do that so please stop it. Gender isn't a binary and you should know that by now. If I had magical powers and slapped a vagina onto you your brain would still be a man's brain. Would you like it if I called you a woman just because you had a vagina? Please be more considerate.

15. Bradley

I'm not blaming you, typical media sensationalism.

16. Night Rain

Well excuse me but how am I supposed to know what gender a transgender is (or even if they are a transgender) if I can't see them (sometimes it's hard to tell whether they're gay or lesbian or cross-dressing or transgender) or hear them talk?

Some people really use words that they think are considerate and/or use them with good intentions given the sensitive circumstance, and you just slap the word offensive on them, which I find offensive. Rather than playing the offensive card, why don't you educate them (peacefully) how to do it correctly?

Sorry if I came off as offensive, but it was never my intention.

#16 Night Rain, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  17. DhammaGamer

You're ignorant.

18. julia

It still amazes me how men can't be raped according to law, because obviously they can be. I just.... this is disgusting.

19. Zontar

"Biological gender" is sex, not "gender", if you want to clear things up that way.

When people put their desired gender as their gender, they're not necessarily misrepresenting themselves.

20. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    The phrase, "What the hell, Sweeden!?" comes to mind.

Unfortunately I can't find the words to truly express how disgusting, discriminatory and dangerous this ruling is.