1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R&B Singer Frank Ocean Comes Out

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by TheEdend, Jul 5, 2012.

1. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

2. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I heard about that.. really cool. Good for him. I don't know who he is, but congrats to him.

3. Philvanuirle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have heard his name, but I am not a fan of his music stylings. Regardless, at least he is standing up for something :slight_smile: And glad he is a guy.

4. SFSorrow

I think the main significance of this is that he is in a genre (hip-hop) that tends to be homophobic and works with Tyler, the Creator who has been controversial for his homophobic lyrics. I'd barely heard of him either but this seems to have generated quite a lot of discussion in the music press.

5. julia

That's really brave of him especially as an R&B/Hip Hop artist to come out, props to him!

6. sguyc

Tyler was totally supportive though. Shows how a lot of the image that hiphop and rap gets isn't entirely deserved, not saying those genres aren't pretty homophobic though.

7. Mohawke13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad he was brave enough to do this, especially being a part of the hip-hop/r&b community where it seems like the homophobia hasn't gotten much better. Already, there are fans saying they won't listen to his music anymore because he sings about guys. It's even more annoying when you think about the fact that there's probably a huge group of anti-Frank Ocean fans who'll support someone like Chris Brown despite the things he did to Rihanna, as if that's more acceptable than being gay...

8. DanA

Oooo, I just heard about this. Now, he did a song with Tyler the Creator who has really homophobic lyrics sometimes ("drag you fags to the back cabin" ~ Martians vs. Goblins) so I wonder how he felt about that collaboration. I'm not sure I would have done that.

Plus, everybody is saying he's gay... which is only half right :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm hoping for some nice smoove R&B songs about man lovin' :grin:

9. Stormy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    For anyone who is a fan or just feels like showing some support, his debut album was just released a week early on iTunes.