1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would this be considered discrimination?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Menaki-Neko, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    At my school a teacher of mine had stated to other teachers that she supported gay marrige, and recently the school announced that she was not going to be returning to the school next year because of this. My school is Catholic school, and is definitely against gay marriages, but it still sounds like discrimination to me. She never stated her support for gay marriage to the students, and the only reason the students know now is because the principal and the bishop made a big deal about.

2. Night Rain

Well, considering that your school is against gay marriages, I would say the school itself is already discriminatory.

3. SkyDiver

It reeks of discrimination.

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

It is discrimination but there isn't anything anyone can do about it. Your school is a private school, and privately owned and operated entities are unfortunately allowed to do things like this under the guise of freedom of religion.

5. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In America, anyhow.

6. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Do you think that it might be worth trying to file a complaint?

7. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I don't know who you would complain to. If you wanted to organize the students into some sort of campaign, then I think that might be worthwhile, or you could take it to the media, but I really doubt you'll ever get very far with it. If I were you, I would just let this slide, because you could honestly be next. You wouldn't be the first student kicked out of a catholic school over LGBT issues. I think your time would be much better spent writing a letter, or an e-mail, or maybe even calling your former teacher and letting her know that you support and appreciate her beliefs. I'm sure she probably could use some encouragement right now.

8. dano22

dano22 Guest

I heard about this living a hour away from there and I was very disappointed to here about this being in a catholic family. Yes it is discrimination and sadly nothing really can be done about it since it is a private school they can do what they want when it comes to policy. Personally the churches stance on this issue is getting pathetic and I am sick of seeing the anti gay newsletters in my church bulletin.

9. sguyc

No, not in a legal sense. It is a private institution that can fire people if it feels their beliefs and opinions go against its core values. Plus its a school so they can do a lot of things based on ensuring a safe and appropriate school environment, they get more leeway.

But that doesn't mean you can't complain and start something outside the legal sphere, which is appropriate in this case.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's discrimination, and there's illegal discrimination.

Unfortunately, there's nothing illegal about a teacher saying they support gay marriage and a school saying "In that case, nevermind, we don't need you next year." There are certain classes of people that are protected, but unfortunately, what you're describing is perfectly legal, and even if you were to complain, the catholic church all the way up to the Pope isn't going to give a crap because they're equally bigoted. :slight_smile:

11. NickD

Discriminatory in the social sense, but not the legal one. Catholic schools are generally private so they don't have to adhere to a lot of laws. I'm Catholic too, and although I never went to Catholic school, it took a long time before finding a gay-affirming parish (or at least as gay affirming as a Catholic church can be at this point). I think in a lot of ways the Catholic Church has adopted a "don't ask don't tell" policy until real change happens. I'm not yet ready to give up on a religion that has helped me so much.

But I digress, in a word, yes it is definitely discrimination. But keep in mind that legally (though perhaps not socially) conceivably a gay school could exist that fires a teacher for being Catholic and that would also be discriminatory. Just some food for thought.

12. ArtSaves

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the U.S........ But well, here you can't do much either.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, it is discrimination, and it's extremely unethical what they are doing. However, this is America, so it's legal.

14. J Snow

I went to Catholic school for thirteen years so I feel obligated to chime in. Unfortunately I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. Is it unfair? Absolutely. Is there anything that can be done about it? Likely not.

If you feel comfortable doing so, I would express your distaste for the situation through an anonymous letter to the principal or something of that nature.

I had at least one teacher that openly supported gay marriage to the students, or at least said "He doesn't see why its anybody's business." But he wasn't Catholic, Lutheran I believe.

Funny how one of my teachers I had in Catholic school is now a registered sex offender and Catholic schools want to be so bigoted towards people who simple SUPPORT gay marriage.

15. bdman

Wow, the teacher supports same sex marriage...she's not in one. Yet that's enough to get her fired. That's what they call religious freedom, huh...sickening. Unfortunately it is legal, but even if it wasn't there would probably be no realistic way to enforce the law.

16. Bradley

How long before you guys finally take tax exempt status away from discriminatory religious organizations?

This is discrimination. You should contact the media about this, maybe they will get her case some publicity and hopefully embarrass your school.

17. dano22

dano22 Guest

This goes to show how close I am to leaving the church and attending the open minded church a block away from my towns catholic church.

18. JackWin

I also go to a catholic school, and we have had the same incident happen few times. A teacher was removed from the school because she was openly supporting of gay rights and gay marriages.Even more disturbingly we had a student get expelled for being openly gay at my school. I know that as a private school they can do practically whatever they want, but people are entitled to their own rights, opinions, and ways of life.

19. Zontar

Well, slow down here. Don't go looking for discrimination when there's no concrete evidence of it. She could be leaving for any number of reasons besides that.

There's a lot of things that would suggest discrimination, especially considering the Catholic environment, but ultimately you could never prove it and I wouldn't go raising Cain over something you can't prove.

20. Pippa

Pippa Guest

It is discrimination of the worst kind but unfortunately since the "freedom of religion" thing has been so overstepped and overblown, big bloated religious organizations (like the Catholic Church) think they can run roughshod over whomever they please.... and they usually get away with it. These "freedom of religion" nuts don't understand that we were never a "Christian nation" and that most of the founding fathers were Deists, who for the most part believed in keeping out of other people's business. Oh, to have that kind of attitude again.....