1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

#strong for laci - or not? what do you think?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Caoimhe Fayre, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Caoimhe Fayre

Daily Dot | Death threats force sex-positive blogger underground

I'm reading comments and seeing this on a lot of youtube vids right now. gone to watch her channel. curious as to what other people think on this...

I hope they catch whoever sent the death threats to her, anyway. not sure what all of us posting #strong for Laci will do about it, though... :/

2. Mogget

Laci Green is awesome! I haven't watched her videos in quite a while, but I really enjoyed them when I did.

3. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OMG... Comments... With friends like these who needs enemies? Doesn't "more oppressed than thou" crowd see that they're undermining everyone by effectively agreeing with RL trolls?

And whoever did send those threats is really classy. Instead of attacking some real bad guys (or, well, someone really controversial like Dan Savage) they choose to bully one of the most mainstream sex bloggers ever with zero resources to defend herself... Very noble and brave of them.

4. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been watching Laci's videos since about 2007, although it's been a few months since I've caught up. It's sad that she's facing this right now. As for the hash tag, there's nothing wrong with solidarity. :slight_smile:

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As long as she stays safe, that's what matters to me. It's good to have a sex-positive person on the net but not at the risk of her own life, we still have Dan Savage too, even though compared to Laci he's not as amazing. But I hope she'll make a return at some point in the future.

6. sguyc

They must have been serious death threats I guess right? I mean I am pretty sure most high profile bloggers get plenty of death threats. Lots of trolls out there.

7. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I doubt anyone knows except her, the sender(s) and the police. The one e-mail she posted might be just a troll (albeit one that went to trouble of looking up some personal info on her,) but as far as I understood, it wasn't the only one.

8. Allecto

I've been watching the whole thing unfold. It's a giant clusterfuck on both sides tbh. She's said some stupid shit, but the people sending her death threats and making misogynist comments towards her are being terrible as well.

9. Caoimhe Fayre

I think the seriousness of it is that the threats were accompanied by photos of her home. I think that would scare anyone.

And I've been watching a lot of the so called offensive videos, and I didn't think her comments about Mormonism or Islam were particularly offensive at all. She was just describing her own personal experience, not judging the religions as a whole. Plus, she should be allowed to say whatever she likes without getting death threats over it.

10. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What "stupid shit" has she said, really? She's a bit of a goof, but she's also extremely well considered and intelligent.

11. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love Laci, I was so sad when I noticed this stuff happening in her comments and then found out about the death threats. She used the word once over 3 years ago and then in hindsight removed it and apologised when it was brought to her attention. To be honest, even her video about Islam was much more delicately handled than the majority of videos (seriously, search Islam and Evil on youtube, 21,900 hits).

I think it was John Green of the VlogBrothers who also mentioned on his tumblr that she's been receiving pictures of her apartment building with threats attached to them, and another youtube partner said she got letters at her apartment with no stamps, suggesting they were delivered in person. That kind of stuff is really messed up, it shouldn't be happening to anyone

12. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Indeed, no matter what they said about any religion our cultural norm and how controversial it is. It is the fault of the threateners, not the threatened, if they feel they must respond to such things with intimidation and violence.

13. seeksanctuary

That poor woman. :frowning2: I hope the authorities put an end to these threats.

14. Kanen

People don't seem to understand. She has every right to criticise religion. Her comments with the t-slur were uncalled for, and she apologized sincerely. But her talking about religion is her own opinion.

You don't choose your gender identity. You choose your religion. Therefore, religion is open to criticism.

People are being entirely too sensitive. There were others who were getting on to John Green for simply stating the word - in quotes, mind you - so that people knew what he was talking about. I mean, seriously?

15. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been checking her tumblr periodically, but somehow missed her return.

Yes, she's back. I won't link to her tumblr, but she had made several quite thoughtful posts on what happened to her and what she thinks of the whole situation.

#15 WeirdnessMagnet, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I deeply respect Laci Green, and she's been a strong advocate for queer people.

17. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Laci has done a billion times more good than harm in her time online. This kind of "witch-hunt" behavior (to use her own words) her detractors have engaged in is shameful.

18. animequeen567

I love Laci Green! I've seen all but her last 2 videos, but this is the first I heard about people giving her death threats. I generally never read the comments so I tend to miss things. I also missed that post on tumblr :frowning2: This is awful to hear! I have been watching her videos for a long time. I hope the police catch the people that are sending her these death threats!