1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Russian religious group threatens Facebook: Stop ‘flirting with sodomites’

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by lazyboy, Jul 11, 2012.

1. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oooo scary, Russia's coming after Facebook, a company that is based on the other side of the world >_>

3. Bradley

"“The U.S. goal is that Russians stop having children. (They want) the great nation to turn into likeness of Sodom and Gomorrah,” he said."

Pure genius! A comedian probably couldn't even make this stuff up. Usually the first step in taking a public position on an issue is to have the most basic understanding of it and not be grossly misinformed about it.

4. ANightDude

5. DPQuarter

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    They're basically saying that they're going to sue over two little icons! This stuff just makes me laugh.

6. Jonathan

The ridiculous things that some people are able to come up with...

7. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I checked some Russian news... Their plan actually makes some more sense than that, they're planning to sue ISPs using that new "homosexual propaganda" law. They're also campaigning for outlawing homosexuality outright.

I'd dismiss that as a mere publicity stunt, but if someone influential in Moscow would take this group under their wing it might end up being more serious than that.

As for how anyone can believe this stuff... Let's just say that for an average Russian there's no Europe, America, blue states, red states. There's "The West" which, as almost a century of propaganda assures him, may as well be Sodom and Gomorrah as far as "Christian values" are concerned (many simply have no idea just how influental conservative religion is in the US.) and all Westrerners absolutely sleep and dream of destroying Russia and (b) civil rights groups by now are all either in the pocked of oligarchs (and throughly distrusted) or are as rife with kooks and conspiracy theorists as their opponents or both.

#7 WeirdnessMagnet, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  8. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    From what I've seen so far, most of Russia believes that homosexuality is something that is taught to the youth by child molesters and other perverts. It doesn't just happen by itself. The open portrayal of gay charcters in western media and Facebook's acknowledgement of homosexual couples as a legitimate relationship only serves to prove the social decadence of western culture.

I think I'd agree that this is serious.

9. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, that's the attitude, the source of which is multifaceted, with influences from the Russian Orthodox Church, old Stalinist policies, the current right wing government as well as widespread poverty and scientific illiteracy.

10. Aeon Magus

Can't someone just nail Vladimir's coffin shut when he goes to sleep? :confused:

11. ArtSaves

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please, someone!!!

Yeah, this sure is the goal of the US, that's why same sex marriage is legal in some states.... maybe they want everyone stop having chieldren.....

12. Emberblaze

What? So america isn't the only place with crazed people like this?

Ahem, but anyways it's funny at first read, but once again, it does seem like it's kinda urgent or something. I mean come on, people can't really sue over something like this, can they? I highly doubt they'll win, but it's kinda demoralizing how people will stoop this low...