1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boy Scouts Reaffirm Policy: No Gays Allowed

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Revan, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Boy Scouts Reconfirm Policy: No Gays Allowed - Yahoo! News

2. juice

What sucks is that I'm in the Boy Scouts, so I can't really be myself while I'm around them

3. ryanninjasheep

4. DanA

Screw you Boy Scouts! I'm going to wear my uniform everytime I bang my future husband and use my Eagle badge as decoration on a thong.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can't expect any different when an enormous amount of Boy Scout funding comes from the religious bigots who run the Mormon Church, and whose bigotry is responsible for Prop 8 and other discriminatory laws.

6. juice

Well the fed gov partly funds the BSA too. Then shouldn't the American people have a say in what the BSA does with the American people's tax dollars?

7. Swim2Fly

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :frowning2: My dad just walked in and told me about this decision, and he's pretty upset. He was a boy scout back in the day, and he had me do cub scouts until I got too busy with other things. It's beyond me how such a prominent and seemingly inclusive organization can just discriminate like that! Their loss.

8. Valeyard

I can sort of understand it. In my mind, it would follow the same reason why there is a boy and girl scouts. Not just because interests among members may conflict (one group wanting to be active, the other wanting to sit around watching movies). But also because it's a stupid idea to shove a bunch of kids full of hormones together and hope nothing happens.
    That being said, I think it's the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Part of the boys scout oath is "Being morally straight means to live your life with honesty, to be clean in your speech and actions, and to be a person of strong character." I can't think of anyone who's a stronger person than those who choose to speak up about their differences, and identify as LGBTQ. While I hope that eventually LGBTQ will be seen as something like hairstyle- there, but not all that important, it still means a lot now, and should be respected. The boy scout law states:
    "A Scout is:
    • Trustworthy,
    • Loyal,
    • Helpful,
    • Friendly,
    • Courteous,
    • Kind,
    • Obedient,
    • Cheerful,
    • Thrifty,
    • Brave,
    • Clean,
    • and Reverent.
    "
    To my mind, kind, friendly,and helpful all mean to be accepting of diversity. So what if Billy has a relationship with Amos? They're just the same as Fred Casley, who has feelings for Roxie. It just happens that there's a smaller chance of the former coming back pregnant than the latter, if they were both to sneak off from camp.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This issue has already come up, I believe. There was some sort of supreme court decision relating to the Boy Scouts and, I think, tax dollars, and the Supremes, dominated by the bigoted conservative contingent, voted in favor of discrimination.

There was also a case where, if memory serves, the city of Philadelphia was leasing a building to the Boy Scouts, but passed an anti-discrimination law that included sexual orientation. They ruled the Scouts could not rent the building because they were discriminating. It went to court and I think there was a settlement where the Scouts bought the building or something... in essence, it allowed the Scouts to continue discriminating, continue using the building, and the city to still claim to be enforcing the anti-discrimination policy.

10. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Check out the comments on this piece of work: Why the Boy Scouts don't allow gay people to join

It's like taking a trip back to the 1950s, when women knew their place and those uppity negroes were kept away from our children in schools. I'm utterly floored that there are so many people this stupid and mean-spirited who apparently have internet access.

11. Kyllani

I am utterly disgusted by some of the comments on that article. The amount of stupidity flowing around out there is just outrageous, and it makes me weep for humanity.

12. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

lmaoo i nearly cried laughing when i read that... X'D

13. Mogget

Apparently there's a term in the BSA: "the three Gs." It refers to God, girls, and gays. The first is mandatory (atheists and agnostics aren't allowed in the BSA), the latter two are forbidden.

14. TheAMan

My parents like this because they say that if they let gay people in the kids could get raped. When i compared it to the military's old Don't Ask Don't Tell policy, they said those were grown people and they can protect themselves. That's stupid. For one there are plenty of gay people in the Boy Scouts now that are in the closest and you don't see them raping people. Second, rapists aren't just homosexuals. Rapists can be straight too so that logic is just nonsense.

15. suninthesky

Bahaha! Thank you for lightening the mood on such a frustrating article.

16. GingerGuy

What a sad article... can't they realise that putting boys and men close to each other 24 hours a day, and wearing short shorts, automatically makes boy scouts the gayest thing ever? I wont be surprised if most adult gay men had their first sexual experiences while in Boy Scouts.

17. Mogget

In the words of Roy Zimmerman, "What they need to realize is that homosexuality in the Boy Scouts is a tradition."

18. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sometimes I just don't understand american politics. :***: (I know this has nothing to do with the government per se, but it's still a political thing. It's got nothing to do with common sense.)

There happens to be a scouting organization in the country next door, (two of them in fact,) that allow all those things and get along perfectly well.

19. Emberblaze

Some people say that the world is gonna end from a zombie apocalypse....
    I say it's gonna be a war between people being divided on different views. Eventually, everyone's gonna kill eachother and discriminate against everyone and eventually nobody'll wanna communicate with other people.

We're all human and yet some people cant see it. Aint that a pity.

20. Level75