1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cure for Aids?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pauline, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Pauline

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. Cody25

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow! Sounds like they are making advances at least, it is always good to be hopeful...

3. Pauline

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing is that one man may have already been cured in Germany but there was no follow up so i don't know the outcome

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's getting closer, which is great, I'm just wondering what type it will be as perhaps I'm not reading enough about it. By "what type" I mean, will it be a vaccine to prevent healthy men and women from getting the virus? Or will it be a combo that will prevent those who are Negative from getting it, and cure those who are Positive of the virus. So it does make me wonder.

5. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wouldn't it be great if it came sooner rather than later!?

I have a friend who has been HIV+ for 15 years and his medication has done wonders. It would be so great to think that the Sword of Damocles were removed from above his head.

I have read, though, that there is a huge upsurge in STDs, some of which are evolving into antibiotic-resistant varieties. Not the same, I know, but I don't think we can become too carefree just yet.

6. Tim

Tim

2050? And that's if limitations are removed? :S @Revan: This article is talking about a cure. Not a vaccine.

I read an article recently where they talked about a vaccine that is doing well in testing and if further testing proves effective, it will be approved to be administered as soon as 2017 (or it might have been 2014, not 100% sure)

The issue with HIV/Aids is that it's like every other disease. Every time, it's different. Only, more so. A cold varies constantly because every time it passes through a host, it's genetic makeup changes. So if you have a cold, once you get over it, your body is immune to getting it again. However, if you pass that cold onto someone else, that's why you can get it again, because it's genetic makeup changed when it entered the other person.

HIV/Aids changes much more dramatically than that, which is why a vaccine/cure is so hard to nail down. It's not like small pox/etc, where after testing, you can figure out something to prevent it/remove it. It's a matter of finding a way to prevent the mutations of the disease from bypassing the vaccine, or not being affected by the cures. If it never changed, there would already be a cure and a vaccine.

#6 Tim, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  7. SunSparks

Obviously, we all know all of the terrible things this disease has brought not only to the LGBTQ community, but to humanity at large. While - yes - this is an advancement... its not the only one. All too frequently there are claims that oh! I've found a cure for HIV! Hey! Look over here - I've just cured someone! Just search the news archives... its far too frequent for me. That being said - I do believe since it is from a Nobel laureate, there is some credibility there and this is one of the few occasions where its ok to raise hope. Just don't get too happy when similar stories come out about some random scientist...

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup, it's why even if HIV is cured, we still need to continue practicing safe sex. Yes HIV is one of the most harmful, but there's still Chlamydia, Syphillis, Herpes, Warts, etc.

9. Patrick777

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Condoms, condoms, condoms! A "cure" for HIV is still a LONG way off. The man who was cured in Berlin essentially had all his white blood cells (where HIV lives) wiped out and replaced with new ones for treatment of another disease. It's an incredibly dangerous operation (for a couple weeks you have no immune system) with MANY complications.