1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC: Archbishop Tutu calls for end to gay stigma

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fintan, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Fintan

BBC News - Tutu calls for end to gay stigma to help tackle HIV

2. Aeon Magus

Just because it was first identified in gay men, does not mean they are the cause, or the only carriers, of said disease - Plenty straight people have the disease as well.

But kudos to the Tutu-Man for speaking about this.

3. ANightDude

"Never let anyone make you feel inferior for being who you are. When you live the life you were meant to live, in freedom and dignity".

What a good man. I'm glad he's speaking out. Here's hoping he can make a difference.

4. IrisM

*Claps* It's nice to see the religious community come in on our side every now and again.

5. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    AeonMagus - I believe that the vast majority of new HIV patients in Africa are heterosexual. I saw a programme which discussed the idea that many African men see the use of condoms as "unmanly". They visit prostitutes, get infected, then infect their wives.

It's grossly unfair and inaccurate to think of it as a "gay" disease.

Now that Tutu has spoken out, we just need the Vatican to get a real grip and allow the use of condoms. I think the prophylactic benefits of condoms far outway ANY moral considerations.

6. JudasKissedHIM

You are righy Bobbgooduk. But many of them also believe HIV/AIDS can be prevented by taking a shower after unprotected sex, having sex with virgins and having sex with female babies.

AND our dear ex Minister of Health told the masses to eat garlic to prevent HIV/AIDS. To you and me it might seem silly but people are really uneducated in this country so they will believe anything that comes from someone they deem 'educated'.

7. Aeon Magus

Would it not have been great if everyone saw this programme you speak of? :dry: At least then the "stigma" of HIV being a "gay disease" would be questioned.
    And yes, many heterosexual men think that by using that particular contraceptive makes them less of a man. Though it puzzles me how...

The pope should wave his hand and allow condoms to be used again, I agree. But one programme (which he may not have seen) and the opinion of an Archbishop from South Africa may not be enough to sway him.
    It's also fascinating to me that when a public figure (regardless of title or social standing) has an opinion on consumer goods and/or brands, people are much more inclined to follow that individual's lead. Sheep... When will people start to think for themselves? :rolle:

Illustrated by many of Zapiro's Zuma/Showerhead cartoons. LOL! In newspapers I read the heading of each article until I find something of interest, then you see these images and remember what the person in the cartoon has said not so long ago. It still makes me chuckle.
    The second is just wrong. If it was found that having sex with a virgin could cure HIV/AIDS, would it not have been made public?
    The third is just utterly disgusting. And yet, it is true that it happens. There are sick bastards who do this. I still believe that people that do things like that should have their junk smashed in with a sledgehammer. Or neutered at the VERY least.

I remember this. I was confused that day, wondering if it's true or if she was high on crack. It astounds me that people can make huge discoveries like this, announce it publicly and then expect everyone just to take their word for it. I mean, GARLIC!!? REALLY??? :eusa_doh:

8. Dasc Crescent

This was very unexpected, good for him!
    For this to come from him will make a pretty big difference I think, a known and accepted leader for many saying this? It's awesome :3
    now all that's left is for the next pope to pro-gay!
    Take that churches!

9. Fintan

I don't know how much sway an Anglican/Episcopalian Archbishop would have over the Pope and the Catholic Vatican. However, Archbishop Tutu does have some significant sway within his own church.

The Anglican/Episcopal Church essentially allows the synod (parliament) of each province (national church) to decide where it stands on gay marriage. This ranges from the Episcopal Church of the United States that conducts gay marriages, to the Anglican Church of Canada which is on the verge of it, to the Church of England which is fighting a losing battle against gay marriage with the Conservative British Government -- to Asian/Caribbean/African Anglican Churches which are still vehemently against it.