1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Throw away news: Tripp Palin's Gay Slur

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by DanA, Jul 23, 2012.

1. DanA

Since the Palins are still in the spotlight due to their celebrity status from tv shows to book deals, I find this a pretty interesting little window into the Palin household.

Tripp Palin Gay Slur: Bristol's Son Calls Aunt Willow A 'Faggot' On Reality Show

Now, here is my issue. It's not with the kid, he doesn't know what faggot means. Clearly he's just repeating a word he's heard used in anger before by someone else so he's applying it to a situation he thinks merits it. That is how kids learn speech and how and when to use it. Tripp isn't the problem here.

What burned me was the adult's reactions. Laughter. If my kid, on national tv, used a slur like that I would be horrified. They're nonchalance paints a brutal picture in my mind. I would probably laugh as well after the fact, but in the moment I would be horrified and I would go into parent mode and correct the kid.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting window indeed...

A brutal picture indeed. Well put.

3. Tiny Catastrophe

I think my favorite part is that she admits she's doing a bad job with him. If that was my kid I would have disciplined him immediately.

4. ANightDude

"Family values" for the lolz, I suppose.

5. SunSparks

First of all... I just have to express my frustration about how does such a dumb person become a governor of a state? I swear - some of these politicians - I bet I know more about the Constitution and American History than they do.

As for the kid... just one of the many people who are influenced to say words that are horrible and when they later learn the meaning, they gain an idea that those people are worth even less. So this is the next generation of America... we need help

6. Peanuts

I've completely disregarded the Palins because I've figured nothing worthwhile or quality comes out of them. Except maybe for comedic entertainment.

Geez though, you'd think someone so public would care more about such insulting words. It doesn't help when she basically brushes it off by laughing.

7. IllusiveRannoch

:roflmao: not sure how this counts for news, but i can see how it might offend people. heh, i remember the first time i heard the word 'fag'. oddly enough it was used by one of my close friends in high school (i grew up in christian private schools, so you get the picture; but will save my story for another time). was tossed around pretty loosely by fellow students, even then i didn't even know what the term meant until a couple years ago. but if someone who's ignorant of the phrase ends up saying it, i think it'd best deserve an honest non biased explanation as to what it means, rather than any physical 'discipline', to allow them to see how it might offend someone so as to be a bit more cautious with words used. if people are ignorant of something, shouldn't knowledge rather than suppression be sought? however, with freedom of speech and all, i've got to ask why couldn't it not be used for humor instead of hate? i mean, what if satire were used in countering it instead of anger? i'm reminded of the quote: 'nothing can withstand the assault of laughter'. i understand words can hurt and that this wouldnt be a laughing matter for most, but after checking out the Erin Davies' 'fagbug' car, or Micheal Moore's 'sodomobile' (both google's are hysterically funny in personal opinion), i cant help but laugh and think, maybe such phrases can be used to say something good and not hateful or ignorant (not regarding said story). is that so wrong of me?

#7 IllusiveRannoch, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  8. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is how people learn to be prejudiced. You can bet your life that the kid knows all of mom and dad's list of figures of hate.

I agree with the sentiment of how can someone so dumb become a governor.

I suppose that's democracy for you, and they say the electorate gets the representation they deserve - so we are the idiots for voting for them or even giving them the idea in the first place that they stand a chance.

It's worrying to think that the only qualification you need to have as a politician is to have a mouth big enough to put your own foot in it.

Sarah - I can totally see your house from here - please stay inside it and away from the windows!:sleep:

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is Palin's family. I'm honestly not surprised lol. But it's like they said, Throw Away News, that's exactly what it is. I don't care about the Palin's and think we shouldn't even bother worrying about it.

10. Pauline

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been igging them since the last election when she cost John Mccain everything