Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Current Events, World News, & LGBT News

Current Events, World News, & LGBT News A news forum for posting and discussing news topics regarding the latest breaking news, stories from around the world, and any LGBT related news updates that you and others may find interesting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23rd Jul 2012, 08:47 PM   #1
Nyandere

Orientation: Likes girls, licks boys
Out Status: As bi- Anyone; As a girl- No one

Default Sally Ride dies at 61

Sadly, Sally Ride has passed away due to pancreatic cancer.
[link]
Quote:
Saying that her sister was a very private person, Bear Ride said, "People did not know she had pancreatic cancer, that's going to be a huge shock. For 17 months, nobody knew -- and everyone does now. Her memorial fund is going to be in support of pancreatic cancer.

"The pancreatic cancer community is going to be absolutely thrilled that there's now this advocate that they didn't know about. And, I hope the GLBT community feels the same," Bear Ride, who identifies as gay, said.

"I hope it makes it easier for kids growing up gay that they know that another one of their heroes was like them," she added.
Apparently, not only was she the first woman in space, she may have been the first lesbian in space, too. Her relationship with her partner, Tam O'Shaughnessy, lasted 27 years.
'We need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us.' - Franz Kafka
solarcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2012, 08:56 PM   #2
EC Addict

Orientation: Straight
Out Status: Some people

Default Re: Sally Ride dies at 61

Thanks for the info. Sad, and her partner is in my thoughts, but it's kind of nice to know. She was/is a great role model.
suninthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2012, 10:11 PM   #3
EC Addict

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Out to everyone

Sally Ride is/was awesome! She was like the Amelia Earhart of the 1980s (turns out Ride's death day is the same as Earhart's birthday...).

I had no idea she was a lesbian either until today. I saw that her obituary merely mentioned that she was survived by her partner, a female woman lady. I'm glad her outing was not contrary to any other obituary: it helps to normalize lesbian relationships, I think.

Celebrate diversity!
Markio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2012, 10:33 PM   #4
<3

Orientation: Girls are cool.
Out Status: All but family.

I'm happy and I'm sad at the same time, because she was able to accomplish so much but died so young. Being in space and working at NASA is a total dream of mine so stories like hers are inspiring, even if just a little.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jul 2012, 04:16 AM   #5
Nerdy T-Girl

Orientation: Women or David Tennant
Out Status: Family only

Rest in peace Sally Ride. You had a wonderful journey through life and will forever remain an inspiration to women everywhere.

In related news - Mitt Romney on the death of Sally Ride | Greta Christina's Blog
Old 24th Jul 2012, 06:40 AM   #6
EC Addict

Orientation: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Out Status: Out to everyone

Sad to hear....I'll admit second there I thought it said Sally Field, but still a very sad day.
Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jul 2012, 05:03 PM   #7
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

She is a true American hero and has inspired me in so many ways. She died surrounded by loved ones and has taken her rightful place amongst the stars.
prism is offline   Reply With Quote