1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HHS affirms health care discrimination law protects LGBT people.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Aug 6, 2012.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. SunSparks

Wonderful. It would be awfully scary if it didn't. A person might be denied medical attention due to their sexual orientation... or any other reason - that is pure absurdity. I would probably flee this country because that, that would be an abomination.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah.. that really would be. I think that it is good that they put the clarification out there though. We all know that people would've tried to deny coverage to people just because they are LGBT. That's just the sad reality of the world that we live in...

4. SunSparks

I know right! Like I still don't understand how in some states business are able to refuse service based on race, religion, skin, sexual orientation ,etc... like what is that!?

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah... that really is crazy. I don't understand how business can discriminate legally this age because of all of discrimination laws.

I think that people just look for all of the loopholes in those laws.. or there's a second more likely option, which is that they just don't care..

You can have all the laws in the world... but if you do not enforce them nobody really cares about them.

6. redstormrising

race and religion are protected categories under federal law - but sexual orientation is not. unless there's a state law prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation, it is unfortunately actually legal

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oops.. I must have deleated that off of my post before I posted it... Thanks for pointing out that errror on my part though.

I know that there was a case of racial discrimation recently at a church that refused to have the African-American couple married at that church. (they were members of that church too.) I would post a link, but I am on my iPad at the moment so that is a major pain.

Discrimination goes on everyday. Sadly it's a fact of life at the moment. Even if there are laws saying that you cannot discriminate, many people still will discriminate that group of people. The likelihood of those discriminated against reporting the discrimation is low. Hopefully someday that will change.