1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rainbow Ambiguity: Defying Conservatism In Mainstream LGBT Culture

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by SFSorrow, Aug 9, 2012.

1. SFSorrow

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Maybe things are different in the UK from how they are here in the US, but the overall message I got from this article was that the author resents gay guys for cutting loose and having a good time with their life, instead of making their entire existence political. To hear him speak, you'd think that gay guys buying into consumerism is a recent invention. I find that doubtable, to say the least.

But even more egregious, it seems that he's saying that it's a bad thing that gay guys are just living their life without acknowledging being gay as an important part of who they are. Isn't that exactly what we've been fighting for? Isn't that exactly what those who came before us wanted?

Now that we can live open and out without it being a massive political statement, I think that opens up the possibility to bring even more people into the revolution (if you will). Because not everyone is willing or able to be actively involved in politics or activism. But just by living openly and being out, gay guys can help the cause by spreading the idea that we're not some abstract notion out their to burn your churches and recruit your children; we're people, people you know and love, who just happen to like guys. And I think that's going to do just as much for gay acceptance as explicit activism can do, especially if we get more people doing it.

3. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This really struck a chord with me - maybe because I'm a senior gay and a member of Stonewall - but I DO think that we forget that our situation today has been borne on the shoulders of the efforts of older generations. Like the author, I too worry that we might let our guard drop and allow the crazies to start dictating what and where and with whom we may lead out lives.

The political world in the UK is stultified - no-one believes a word the politicians say, so no-one takes politics seriously beyond a few anti-Europe rants and the odd bit of foreigner-bashing (verbal). Like the author, I worry that the LBGT community might take its eye of the ball and allow itself to be forced back into the Dark Ages because no-one took anything seriously as a threat to the liberties we have fought for.

You don't know what you've lost till it's gone.

I agree, Owen, that we have won a kind of equality, but we have to make sure no-one takes it back from us.