1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illinois City Settles Historic Transgender Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fugs, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Illinois City Settles Historic Transgender Lawsuit | Advocate.com

This stuff happens all the time, the police are supposed to make us feel safe and protect us. What are we supposed to do when we can't even trust them?

2. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Some law enforcement agencies are "trying" to reach out to the LGBT community. Unfortunately, the badge does not stop anyone from being a bigoted prick. I have to remind you that there are decent people on the force who will help, and the police will be more LGBT-friendly as time goes on and society becomes more accepting. For now, if you come across one of those types, file a complaint with the department. There is a chance nothing will happen, but it could do something. Post about it, tell people- just don't be silent, or they'll get away with it. Unfortunately, we have to watch the watchers.

3. LailaForbidden

One of the greatest misconceptions in this world is that law, order, and, yes, the police are inherently good and the people they harrass are bad. Police have been behind countless crimes in the world... i'm not really surprised, unfortunatley.

4. IrisM

Police are people. Some of them genuinely care about doing right and protecting the innocent, while others only want power and control. As stated previously, report misconduct when you see it, but don't forget there are good ones too. If one of them does something positive, be sure to say thank you.

5. SunSparks

Hmmm... took the worlds right out of my mouth. I actually took a class with a police officer as the teacher. It was pretty interesting... I shot a taser gun xD The class really did show that they are just people, just like anyone else. I have to say that this is absolutely horrible but in the US, the police aren't as bad. I've been to other countries where the police are absolutely corrupting the government. But its still an absolutely horrible thing they did.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a cop as a neighbor. I almost had to file harassment charges on him because he kept putting notes on my car. The notes were about how I needed to stop parking on the street (parking on the street is 100% legal in my neighborhood.)

Well.. one day I called the cops on him because he started to yell at me. The cops that came and helped defuse the situation were awesome. They were really nice. My neighbor got a demotion because of how he treated me.

We also had a cop at my high school get fired because he called a student a racial slur.

At the same time, I also know a ton of cops that are nice. I know a ton of cops that are in the job to help people, not for the power.

Cops are like people. Although they are not supposed to bring their personal beliefs into situations, they do. All we can do is report things when we see them and hope that something that is done about it.

7. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm.. This is veerry interesting... Especially since this was Cicero, which is pretty much the "hood" of the "hoods" in Chicago area. I'm not surprised those police officers acted the way they did. When I say "Welcome to Illinois where the weather is bad, and the politics are worse", I'm not joking, and here is a perfect example why.

I do respect, though, that the court went in favor of Feliciano. Again, I said this is Cicero. So that being said, it's definitely a step in changing the general public's viewpoint on what gender really is, and it's even bigger than if it was, say, in Crystal Lake or Oak Park.

#7 Jinkies, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012