1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgender discrimination survey

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fugs, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    http://www.thetaskforce.org/downloads/reports/reports/ntds_summary.pdf

KEY FINDINGS
    HARASSMENT AND DISCRIMINATION IN EDUCATION
    EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION AND ECONOMIC INSECURITY
    HOUSING DISCRIMINATION AND HOMELESSNESS
    DISCRIMINATION IN PUBLIC ACCOMMODATIONS
    BARRIERS TO RECEIVING UPDATED ID DOCUMENTS
    ABUSE BY POLICE AND IN PRISON
    DISCRIMINATION IN HEALTH CARE AND POOR HEALTH OUTCOMES
    FAMILY ACCEPTANCE OF GREAT IMPORTANCE
    RESILIENCE
    CUMULATIVE DISCRIMINATION

Survey Respondent Quote

2. Hot Pink

I actually did a graphic design project on this data. It made me sad and frightened at the time--it still does. I can't believe that we have to face this kind of a treatment on a daily basis. Myself, I'm lucky enough to blend in for the most part. The faces people make when they find out I'm trans, though... It can get pretty ugly.

3. person54

I wish I could walk out of my apartment without worrying about the possible consequences of me being me, when I'm expressing my true gender identity.

4. castle walls

This is horrible. People shouldn't have to deal with things like this just for being themselves. Maybe the study will bring some attention to these issues

5. Romi

Just skimming over some of it made me tear up instantly.

6. Snowy

Snowy Guest

Another reason to add to my now-probably thousand page long list of reasons I hate humanity. The conclusion was nice, though.

7. Mango

What's really appalling is the fact that many of our nation's school districts feign to be supportive of providing a safe learning environment for LGBT youth. Meanwhile, they remain actively engaged in blatant discrimination against all transgenders, including teachers, teacher-applicants, and students alike.

Their basic premise for discrimination, is that technically and professionally speaking, a transgender person suffers from some form of a mental illness.

They know that there is no legal defense strong enough, that will secure the employment status of a "mentally ill" teacher.

They also know that there is no teacher's union that will support the empoyment status of a "mentally ill" teacher.

This is all due to the current position taken by the American Psychiatric Association's construction of the DSM IV.

Reference:
    www.genderpsychology.org/transsexual/dsm_iv.htm

8. Mango

The absolute worse part about transgenders is that, as a community they have very little unity. There's an awful lot of petty bickering and fractionating cliques that emerge from insignificant personal jealousies. Perhaps, even much of it is hormone related, who knows? Whatever the case may be, I find it very distracting and it tends to act as polarizer whenever this phenomenon is observed by others. It's an image destroyer and tends to sabotage goals. Next thing you know, the transgender community is wondering why it can't garner greater respect from its gay and straight sympathizers.

Of course, OTOH there are many gays who agree with the APA in their conclusion that most transgenders have some kinda screw loose. They respect that same governing body that until just forty years ago, restricted all gays to the same insane status.

I can't count the number of times I've heard within certain private gay circles, it was agreed upon by concensus that there's something "wrong" or "different" about "them", the transgenders. The support that the transgender community recieves from the gay community should be relentless and unwavering. They must be mindful of the fact that they themselves were denigrated to the same degree, not that long ago in history.

Transgenders must continue to march steadfast while holding the torch high for justice. They must always remember to carry themselves with dignity and a mindset of determination, knowing all the while that most people both admire and respect strength, civility, intelligence, and perseverance.

However, they must also bear in mind that there is a long road ahead. Laws on books, one way or another, don't change minds. Social interaction, performance, and greater postive exposure changes minds.

That said, continued repression should always be met with defiant opposition!

9. person54

That's too bad that in your community the transgender people aren't close. I feel really happy that I've been able to get to know a lot of different trans people and it has certainly helped me make progress in my transition. In my community it's the exact opposite. The LGB population gets very clicky, doesn't get much done and the people in the trans community are very cooperative, welcoming and a lot of us spend time with each other or are at least friendly with the other people who are trans.