1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Drag Queen" Barbie, The Blonds Blond Diamond Barbie

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Ianthe, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Ianthe

And now I can love Barbie again, and more than ever. I read several articles, but this is the one I liked the best: 'Drag Queen' Barbie Is Basically Just Barbie - Entertainment - The Atlantic Wire

2. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I don't know who Phillipe Blond is, but I do see a resemblance. But right now, any connection is in your head. Unless Mattel explicitly says something, I can't see this as anything more than another Barbie.

3. Ianthe

Phillipe Blond is one of The Blonds, the design team that designed this particular Barbie for Mattel. The name of this Barbie being "The Blonds Blond Diamond Barbie."

The resemblance is definitely intentional, and Mattel is definitely aware of it. This Barbie is featured on the cover of their fall Barbie Collector catalog, and on the feature page for this doll, there is also a picture of Phillipe, in the exact same dress that is shown on the doll.

Also of possible interest: When "blonde" is used to refer to a woman with fair hair, it is spelled with an "e" on the end of it. In this usage, it is spelled the male way. See the Grammar Girl article on the usage of the word here.

:wink: