1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF! Marriott (Mormon-owned) hotel chain in ad supporting pride??

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chip, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just came across this ad while reading an article on advocate.com
    [​IMG]

Now, as almost everyone knows, Marriott is owned by a Mormon family that is very, very high up in the Mormon church... and the church is arguably the source of the largest single source of money in support of bigotry against gay people.

So what gives? Is Marriott genuinely supportive of gay people or is this a cynical attempt to whitewash?

Anyone heard anything about this?

2. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I remember reading something about Marriot in Businessweek a couple weeks ago.

God and Gay Marriage: What Chick-fil-A Could Learn From Marriott

Basicly his beleifs are his but he recognizes not everyone shares them and trys to be welcoming to all.

3. NoName11155

NoName11155 Guest

(noname114 here) I fully support free speech, even if it is against me, however the hate funded programs and the lying about it made me dislike it, however I like chick fil a and I still eat there, it's a fast food place, they make so much money a day, no protest will ever stop that and I've seen worse, I don't think personal he's the devil, I supported him for supporting his views, I dislike that as I said before that he funded hate groups and lied about the puppet thing which made me dislike him

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As with any religion, not all Mormons are hyper-conservative. Honestly, they're also some of the kindest people I've met regardless of political affiliation.

This doesn't surprise me at all.

Btw I can't see the ad at all for some reason :/

#4 Browncoat, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So you're ok with actively financially supporting a company that has contributed millions of dollars to taking away your rights? You might be right that protests aren't going to shut them down, but if you spend $10 eating there twice a month (let's say), you're giving them $2400 over 10 years.

It all boils down to how much one cares about making a difference. If everyone took the approach that "oh, my little purchases don't matter, and I don't want to give up food that I like" then none of these companies would make any changes. Change happens in these companies ONLY when consumers vote with their feet.

As for Marriott, I'm personally torn. They have a long history of providing really good service, treating employees well, and running good establishments. I don't know if the Marriott family has contributed to Prop 8 and related causes, but if they have not, that's a pretty big plus for me, since they're beyond loaded and undoubtedly were pressured to do so.

6. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

I think it's funny.. Either they're coming around to the concept of acceptance or they're just trying to get us to stop referencing religion and bigotry in the same context(even though it is almost ALWAYS true.):lol:

7. Ianthe

From ArcusPravus's link (bold added):

He didn't even donate money personally. It seems he isn't the sort that thinks his values should be imposed on others, whether through company policy or by law.

I'm for supporting companies with the policies I like, regardless of the personal beliefs of the owners, because that's the way to give incentive to companies that have the right policies. So, I think I can definitely stay at the Marriott, based on this. :icon_bigg