1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moscow's Gay Pride Parade Banned

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by stephenjack, Aug 20, 2012.

1. stephenjack

2. rg93

In solvieth russhia, we move backwards in time!

No, but in all seriousness, I feel for the russian LGBT community.

Basically the russian ̶r̶̶e̶̶g̶̶i̶̶m̶̶e̶ government is like: "What? When do you get your rights, you ask? LOL, when hell freezes ovah, bit:***:ez :roflmao:"

What a mood breaker. I hope that gets fixed up, but somthing tells me it wont. :dry:

#2 rg93, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  3. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

It's funny how homophobic Russian society seems to be even in Moscow considering how European and 'metrosexual' the atmosphere is in that city nowadays.

I just got back from studying in Moscow a few weeks ago, and it seems like every guy was wearing a tight pink shirt and carrying a purse.

I think ordinary Muscovites actually are more tolerant and cosmopolitan than their city government's policies might suggest.

4. IllusiveRannoch

100 yrs? ha. i think it might get overturned in the future before then. i wonder what the US prohibitionists thought when they saw the 18th amendment get overturned by the 21st because people besides them liked :beer:. so i think there's hope for them yet. as much as they're villainized by fear-mongers, & pundits on Fox, Russia still seems like a pretty cool place to visit one day. tons of history made from them , and lots more history being made by them too. since this ban as far as i read, only affects Moscow, i imagine the rest of the country might be able to do Pride parades?

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Moscow is the most gay-friendly place in Russia...in the rest of the country the idea of having a Pride parade isn't even thought of, and would probably provoke a violent reaction...

St. Petersburg is the only other Russian city with any gay presence, and its government is even worse than Moscow's, with a new law passed this year banning "gay and bisexual propaganda" which makes it illegal to publicly express anything positive about LGBTQ people.

6. IllusiveRannoch

oh, nevermind then. new fact learned

7. Dummy

I hope that this will get fixed... Isn't it against the human rights? What about the so-called freedom of speach?

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'm not from Russia nor know a terribly large amount of their culture; but I suspect the socially conservative Russian Orthodox church, combined with the being only 20 years removed from a one-party State/dictatorship (i.e., they have no qualms in taking away personal freedoms) issue, are their primary reasons for a lack of concern over human rights and freedom of speech.

#8 Browncoat, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  9. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I believe the European Court of Human Rights has actually fined Russia for suppressing the pride parades in years past, but they keep doing it anyway.

But religious extremism is a definite problem there. The Orthodox are a very violent lot.

Plus with all of the real social and economic problems facing Russia, it's easier for politicians to distract everyone by blaming the gays for societal woes rather than actually tackle the tough problems.

10. Aldrick

This.

Russia's government across the board is horrible and corrupt. From what I understand of Russian culture they are very 'macho' oriented, so it is easy to feed anti-gay propaganda down their throats. Blame the Queers; it's a favorite game of many politicians across the globe, including here in the United States.

The good news is that the more gay friendly the West becomes, the more it seeps outward into the broader world. So, the more LGBT characters are portrayed in film and other art, the more it'll slip into the other more anti-gay cultures and help dampen LGBT hostility.

It sucks in the short term, but in the long term we win.