1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Former Seattle City Councilwoman Cheryl Chow Comes Out as Lesbian

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Vesper, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Vesper

Former Seattle city councilwoman Cheryl Chow's last crusade - KING 5 News
    This story struck a nerve with me, as I'm a Chinese-American who's so far been too scared to come out to my own parents for fear of their disapproval.

Life really is too short...

2. Bree

Oh, that's so sad. Saying that her life was wasted.

3. Aldrick

:tears:

Cheryl Chow reminds me of the first person I ever came out too. He was an older gay man well into his sixties who was also coming to terms with being gay, after having lived his entire life in the closet. Reaching out to someone in that period of my life, the darkest period of my life, helped me survive. He helped me realize that I wasn't alone, that I was strong, that I wasn't broken, that there wasn't something wrong with me, that I wasn't a bad person, and helped me find the courage and the strength to work my way through depression. I can't remember how many times I'd come home from school, lock my bedroom door, log on to find him and just spend the evening crying and pouring my heart out. He always listened, gave me comfort, showed compassion and understanding, and encouragement.

Although we've lost touch over the years, I hope he was able to find someone like Chow has - someone who loved him, someone that he could spend his last years with... that was his big regret, he felt like he wasted his life. He never asked anything of me except to not repeat his mistake.

4. Vesper

A video:
    [YOUTUBE]u9luMZEmIik[/YOUTUBE]

:icon_sad:

No one should ever have to think such things about any community s/he belongs to, but too many do. That's just not how things should be.