1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Rights

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Mango, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Mango

Hey there fam!

You know, I've participated in many pride marches, parades, and protests. I truly do believe that everybody has a right to be who they truly are at all times. For a kid who feels that he or she was given the wrong body at birth, every effort should be made to accommodate that kid from the time of revelation on throughout life.

For the person born with either non-descript or ambiguous sex gentalia, every effort should be made to ascertain that persons actual orientation before any actual physical medical intervention is performed.

If possible, our transsexual children should be assessed at early ages, so that HRT can proceed earlier on in life, in order to prevent the devastaing effects of puberty. HRT will ensure that the usual hormones associated with the natal genitalia, will not interfere with the maximization of the actual physical features, desired by the transsexual.

That pretty much covers my opinion concerning TS and Intersex rights and accommodations.

However, there is another category that rarely gets mentioned. That category, belongs to a group that also shares the "transgender" umbrella. They are commonly referred to as transvestites. Transvestites are defined as members of one sex who derive sexual excitement, arousal, and/or pleasure from doning the clothing of the opposite sex. They are almost always males, who enjoy dressing up as females. However, they have absolutely no profound desire to actually be female. The medical profession, classifies transvestism as a type of sexual fetish.

Many transvestites or "TVs" believe that they should have the right to dress up as they wish, in order to satisfy their personal libidos anytime that they like. They usually, experience the same type of recognition as MTF transsexuals. Many transvestites become sexually aroused by wearing specific types of female attire. Some will dress up, but are really fascinated by wearing women's under garments. Some will completely dress up, but are especially aroused by women's shoes. Of course, there are also many who truly enjoy dressing up as females and demonstrating just about any image that they find personally sexually exciting. Most transvestites are either heterosexual or bisexual males. Their bisexuality usually lends itself to the fetishistic side of their proclivity. In other words, they may feel particularly drawn to MTF transsexuals or other transvestites.

Do you feel that transvestites are truly members of the LGBT community?

Do you think that transvestites should share the same LGBT status as MTF transsexuals?

Do you feel as though transvestites have the right to share the transgender umbrella with actual transsexuals?

Don't forget transvestites are people with feelings too...

#1 Mango, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  2. Fiddledeedee

I take it you mean "gender" rather than "orientation". The first refers to who you are and the second to who you love, as you no doubt know. You are right then that people should try to determine the person's actual gender before intervening and making them one sex or the other arbitrarily. I would like to hear what Hexagon has to say on this, but he hasn't been around for months. If you did mean orientation, I disagree because that would imply that you want their personal sex to be dependent on other people, likely leading to a person of ambiguous sex who is attracted to girls being made male even if they're a woman.

Agree.

I disagree. Some transvestites derive sexual excitement from crossdressing, some do it for fun, some do it because they simply prefer the clothes of the opposite sex to the clothes of their own. My older brother enjoys dressing as a girl because of the way it confuses people. It isn't necessarily about arousal.

Source? I have a feeling that there are more female ones than you think but because women being masculine isn't stigmatised like men being feminine is, people don't notice/make a big deal of it.

Source? If that is the case, screw them. It can be a fetish but isn't necessarily.

They should indeed have the right to dress up as they wish. It's just clothes, so what's wrong with it? But it isn't about "satisfying their personal libidos anytime that they like" -- they aren't horny every minute or something (at least, more than other people! :wink:) -- it's about the fact that there is nothing whatsoever wrong with it so why is it stigmatised and all?

I highly doubt that. They are completely separate from MtF transsexuals and shouldn't be mixed up with them -- a man who enjoys dressing as a woman is still a man, whilst a MtF is a woman. They are usually less recognised, I would think, given that transsexual people are more likely to ask for public recognition, as is their right.

Some do, indeed. They can have fetishes for underwear or shoes like non-transvestites. Your point?

Wait, does that mean that some are less valid because they dress up for different reasons? Does that mean that the ones you mentioned earlier in that paragraph don't enjoy dressing as women? In that case, why on Earth would they do it?

It isn't always about arousal. Even if it was, what's wrong with dressing in a way you find sexually exciting?

3. Mango

Fiddledeedeen says:

PHP:
    [B]I take it you mean "gender" rather than "orientation"The first refers to who you are and the second to who you love, as you no doubt know.[/BYou are right then that people should try to determine the person's actual gender before intervening and making them one sex or the other arbitrarily. I would like to hear what Hexagon has to say on this, but he hasn't been around for months. [B]If you did mean orientationI disagree because that would imply that you want their personal sex to be dependent on other peoplelikely leading to a person of ambiguous sex who is attracted to girls being made male even if they're a woman[/B].
    Sexual orientation means that you are either sexually attracted to the opposite sex, the same sex, or possibly both to some degree. Gender, is a range of characteristics or feelings of femininity or masculinity.

Gender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PHP:
    I disagreeSome transvestites derive sexual excitement from crossdressingsome do it for funsome do it because they simply prefer the clothes of the opposite sex to the clothes of their ownMy older brother enjoys dressing as a girl because of the way it confuses peopleIt isn't necessarily about arousal. 
    I vehemently disagree! A tranvestite might tell you that they dress in female attire for fun. However, the very definition of the word "transvestite", requires the necessary attachment of some type of sexual arousal. Otherwise, they are NOT transvestites!
    It's quite possible, that your older brother is not a transvestite at all, but merely an occasional practical joker who likes to play spoofs upon others.

PHP:
    SourceI have a feeling that there are more female ones than you think but because women being masculine isn't stigmatised like men being feminine is, people don't notice/make a big deal of it.
    Reference provided below.

Source? If that is the case, screw them. It can be a fetish but isn't necessarily.

Reference provided below.

PHP:
    They should indeed have the right to dress up as they wishIt's just clothes, so what's wrong with itBut it isn't about "satisfying their personal libidos anytime that they like" -- they aren't horny every minute or something (at leastmore than other people! ;)) -- it's about the fact that there is nothing whatsoever wrong with it so why is it stigmatised and all?
    I do indeed believe that transvestites have the right to crossdress. However, since we know that their primary purpose in doing so, is for personal sexual pleasure, I don't feel that it is something that should enter into the public domain. Since it's sexual by nature, it should remain private.

PHP:
    They are completely separate from MtF transsexuals and shouldn't be mixed up with them -- a man who enjoys dressing as a woman is still a man, whilst a MtF is a woman. 
    Agreed.

PHP:
    Some do, indeedThey can have fetishes for underwear or shoes like non-transvestites
    The point is that the cross-dressing is a sexual fetish and fails to meet the more profound criteria of the MTF transsexual. One issue is one of fulfilling sexual desire. The other issue is one of identity. Clearly, identity trumps simple sexual desire.

PHP:
    Waitdoes that mean that some are less valid because they dress up for different reasonsDoes that mean that the ones you mentioned earlier in that paragraph don't enjoy dressing as women? In that case, why on Earth would they do it?
    No. Transvestites are no less valid than anyone else. However, if they have the perception that their right to work within a public workplace, or their right to attend a publc school, should also include cross-dressing, then I think that will prove to be problematic for actual MTF transsexuals, as they attempt to gain access to public restrooms and garner greater respect from society at large.

It isn't always about arousal. Even if it was, what's wrong with dressing in a way you find sexually exciting?

Cross-dressing for transvestites is always sex linked. If not, they're NOT transvestites.

#3 Mango, Aug 23, 2012
  4. Fiddledeedee

I know. You said orientation; I wondered if you meant gender.

I vehemently disagree! A tranvestite might tell you that they dress in female attire for fun. However, the very definition of the word "transvestite", requires the necessary attachment of some type of sexual arousal. Otherwise, they are NOT transvestites!
    It's quite possible, that your older brother is not a transvestite at all, but merely an occasional practical joker who likes to play spoofs upon others.

"Transvestism (also called transvestitism) is the practice of cross-dressing, which is wearing clothing traditionally associated with the opposite sex or gender. Transvestite refers to a person who cross-dresses; however, the word often has additional physical connotations." I see nothing in that about sexual arousal. The word itself means across-clothing; there's nothing about a fetish or similar.

Eh, fair enough. I know that there are more men than women who cross-dress, but it seems like the women get discounted.

That isn't about transvestisism. That's about transvestic fetishism, which is a different thing and by definition does include sexual stuff.

We know no such thing. You're thinking of transvestic fetishism, which is sexual and like all such sexual activity should be kept to the bedroom. Transvesticism itself, though, is not sexual or otherwise family-unfriendly so it's fine in public.

Yay, we agree on something! :slight_smile:

It is not necessarily sexual fetish.

I agree, though I'm not sure what you mean by that last sentence.

Why shouldn't it? A woman can wear a dress in public; why can't a man? It's the same as a woman being able to kiss a man in public; why can't a man? Because transvesticism isn't necessarily sexual, non-sexual cross-dressing is fine in the workplace, schools, etc.. I don't see why this is a problem for MtF transsexuals.

It is not. A transvestite is someone who wears clothes of the opposite gender, nothing more and nothing less. Transvestic fetishists are a sub-category who do this for sexual pleasure, and they're who you're thinking of.

Yes. As with my comment above about women cross-dressing earlier, I just don't want the other groups to get discounted.

Now I'm a little confused. Are you admitting that yes, it can be for non-sexual reasons?

I know what you mean and I see your point. Reminder: not sexual antics.

I still, however, think the transgender umbrella should include them. It doesn't matter if it's a choice or not, that doesn't infringe on that they are not gender-normative. Some people consider themselves to be gay by choice, and that doesn't invalidate their sexuality.

I would also like transvestites cross-dressing for sexual purposes to keep it private. Those with non-sexual reasons, though, should be fine in public (I phrased that badly).

That does not talk about transvestites at all from what I can see. It talks about transvestic fetishists, who do cross-dress for sexual reasons. Please read and understand sources before citing them.

5. person54

Well if they aren't getting sexual pleasure but still cross dressing, then maybe they are just cross dressers and not transvestites but I don't really care about the specifics of that too much.

Because I feel like they are members of the LGBT community and just generally I feel like anyone who is either not straight, somehow not heteronormative or an Ally ought to be welcomed into any community of LGBT people.

6. Mango

So you believe that they should have the right to use the same public restroom as women.

They should be permitted to attend institutions of higher learning and appear in the public workplace cross-dressed, for the sole purpose of sexual arousal.

You believe that the LGBT community should rally behind their self-felt right to do so anytime the transvestite feels the need.

7. Fiddledeedee

Mango, you're strawmanning her. She did not say or imply that.

Answering what you say as myself and not her, no, yes, no, and yes respectively.

A cross-dressing man is not a woman and should not be allowed to use a woman's bathroom. Restrooms are segregated by gender and/or sex, and transvesticism has nothing to do with that.

A cross-dresser should be allowed to go anywhere while dressed as the opposite gender, but not for the purpose of sexual arousal. Just like there's a difference between wearing a modest uniform to school and a not-so-modest one in the bedroom, so there's a difference between wearing a different gender's clothes because you find it fun, comfortable, pretty, etc. and a sexier version because it turns you on. The first is appropriate for the workplace and the second is not. You seem to forget that some transvestites don't do it for fetishistic reasons.

Transvestites are part of the LGBT community. Therefore yes, we should stick up for them because they do have a right to dress how they want as long as it's appropriate, just as everyone -- straight, gay, black, white, male, female, cis, trans -- does.

There's a blog I keep up with that you might find interesting, called Raising My Rainbow. It's about a mother and her young son, who loves all things girly. He adores Disney Princesses, dresses in girl clothes, is learning ballet, and so on. He's a perfectly normal kid comfortable in being called a boy. He does it because it's what he likes, not because he finds it sexy -- he's only five.

8. person54

what fiddledeedee said.

I was mostly just thinking about things in a context of safe spaces anyway and I was thinking that anyone who is a crossdresser, transvestite, bi gender or whatever else, I would think things wouldn't always be safe, comfortable or easy for them and I would hope that lgbt people would be try to be sensitive and understanding of that and welcome them into any safe spaces like any kind of LGBT group.

#8 person54, Aug 23, 2012
  9. Mango

Fiddledeedee says:

I don't believe that all cross-dressers should be allowed to use public restrooms of the opposite sex. That right should only belong to actual transsexuals.

Their allegiance to the LGBT community does not entitle them to have access to public restrooms of the opposite sex. IMHO, cross-dressing for sexual pleasure is just a fetish. I don't believe that having a fetish should qualify you as being a bonafide member of the LGBT community. A fetish is always directly linked to sexual arousal or excitement of some type. That has nothing to do with any LGBT issue of which I am familiar.

I'm not strawmanning anyone. There are certain prerequisites that members of the transgender community have to possess, before being considered as truly transgender. I think that for years the transgender umbrella has been just a tad too wide. There is no way that a straight male, who may or may not have some serious misogynistic, or lascivious tendencies, should share the same space as a person who possesses the feelings and/or characteristics of a person of the opposite sex. They just have absolutely nothing to do with one another. I simply stated scenarios that are truly issues that are close to the hearts of most MTF transgender people, just to lend some gravity to the situation.

Agreed.

I totally disagree with this. Just because I don a policeman's unifrom, does not qualify me as a policeman. Nobody should be certified or validated as genuine, just because they can afford the price of a uniform. There's a specific criteria that has to used and satisfied, prior to validation.

Not all cross-dressers cross-dress for fetishistic reasons. OTOH, all transvestites cross-dress for fetishistic reasons. Now can a transvestite be both transgender and a transvestite? Meaning...Can a male with transgender feelings become sexually aroused by crossdressing?...Well I'm most certain that those cases do exist, and those people should most definitely free to stand under the transgender umbrella along with transsexuals, drag queens, and other cross-dressers who derive other types of positive intrinsic feelings from cross-dressing, other than that of sexual arousal.

No. Absolutely not! That's is, unless they are simultaneously transgender, as well. Such in the exceptional case cited above.

Person54 says:

So therefore, you two agree...Great! :rolle:

If a transvestite shares similar opinions of most members of the LGBT community and wishes to support the issues commonly found on the LGBT platform, then that person should feel free to join any LGBT group in order to demonstrate that support, but his attending any meeting would hopefully not include any cross-dressing, since we would already know the true root of his desire to cross-dress. Since the cross-dressing would have nothing to do with the affectations or feelings of the opposite sex, it's to be viewed as disingenuous.

#9 Mango, Aug 23, 2012
  10. person54

"I don't believe that all cross-dressers should be allowed to use public restrooms of the opposite sex. That right should only belong to actual transsexuals."

like fidle said I never have argued that and I certaintly don't think that. I was just making an argument that we should be friendly towards people who like to crossdress for whatever their reasons may be. And that's how you did strawman what I said.

11. Zontar

Not all transvestites cross-dress as a fetish.

12. Fiddledeedee

It's not worth it for me to do a quote-by-quote reply to you Mango, especially as you misquoted and misattributed (probably accidentally, but still) in your last post. Cross-dresser and transvestite are synonyms. The word transvestite literally means across-dress. It has nothing to do with a fetish; that is transvestic fetishism, a subcategory also called a cross-dressing fetish. Tell me why a man should not be allowed to wear a dress in public.

13. Zontar

You know, honestly, I used to be like this because I reasoned that cisgendered individuals who crossdressed were offensive to transsexuals and other trans* people. Their "choice" to cross-dress was offensive to people who "had" to do it (meaning transpeople) and created a panoply of problems to deal with as far as identifying legit trans people went.

But in all honesty, there's little about clothing alone or what you wear that is "offensive." Males in skirts or dresses are just another exciting expression of the often-demonized feminine component that few males have. The same goes for masculine females. If you can't quite pull it off, I have no reason to judge you any more than if you insisted on any other style that doesn't fit you. x3

Besides, c'mon now, you can't sit there and tell me Andrej Pejic isn't fucking gorgeous in female attire:
    [​IMG]

14. Ianthe

The medical community used to believe that all people who "cross-dress" do so for sexual reasons. They called this "transvestism." It is only under the DSM-IV that they revised this, and recognized that some people cross dress for other reasons. They therefore created the term, "transvestic fetishism" which is used in exactly the way that "transvestism" used to be used. Since Mango is a self-described "older" person, it is likely that she is familiar with the older usage.

Incidentally, the medical community also used to believe that transsexuals were motivated by sexual desire, as well--that they received sexual gratification by changing their bodies to that of the other gender, and this was the reason they did it.

Obviously, that's bunk.

Likewise, I don't think very many people who are perceived as "crossdressing" publicly do so for the purpose of sexual gratification. Some people feel more comfortable in the clothes that people perceive as not being the clothes of their perceived gender. This is certainly true for the many butches I know who shop in the men's department. They certainly aren't doing it to get off.

The implications of not allowing "crossdressing" are terrible. Who gets to decide what is "men's clothing" and what is "women's clothing"? Can we not argue that it is "women's clothing" if it belongs to a woman, and "men's clothing" if it belongs to a man? How much of the "wrong" clothing must one wear, to be considered "crossdressed?" (Before Stonewall, butches used to be arrested if they were not wearing 3 pieces of "women's clothing." This was an anti-crossdressing law. The fact that we no longer have such laws is usually considered progress.) What penalty would be applied for crossdressing? What requirements would transgender people have to show, in order to prove that they are transgender, and not crossdressing? Would they have to constantly carry legal documents to prove themselves? I suspect that criminalizing crossdressing would result in more harassment of transgender people, not less.

People who display non-normative gender expression should certainly be considered part of the LGBT community, whether they display that expression full time, or only sometimes. Certainly they will be persecuted for it.

Everyone should be allowed to wear the clothes they want. If we make some kind of rule about people's motivation, that will only result in EVERYONE who is perceived as crossdressing being questioned about their possible sexual motivations. This will include transgender people, who I suppose will be required to "prove" their status somehow.

No one should ever be denied access to public restrooms because of their appearance or clothing. No one should be harassed in public restrooms when all they want to do in there is pee. Gender variant people encounter significant problems around public restrooms, even if they ultimately identify as their assigned gender. As long as people are just trying to find a safe place to pee, I'm fine with everyone using whatever bathroom seems best at the time. I also think we should promote the existence of gender neutral bathrooms wherever possible. There are a million reasons there should be gender neutral bathrooms, and only some of them are even related to being queer.

I believe very strongly that most people who crossdress publicly do so at least partly for non-sexual reasons. We should not promote the idea that sexual reasons are the usual reason for people to crossdress, any more than this is the reason people transition. This idea is mostly a way to stigmatize LGBT people. Facing the kind of persecution people face for non-normative gender expression isn't something I think anyone is doing just for kicks. The motivation must be very powerful.

In any case, people's motivations for crossdressing vary, and you can't have laws that only attach to people's motives and not their behavior. If crossdressing is illegal, it will be illegal for everyone, and not only people who do it for sexual reasons.

Here is Ivan Coyote, who can be described as a crossdresser, as she wears men's clothing, reading a letter to a lady in the women's washroom:
    [YOUTUBE]eo6MeDSCBVM[/YOUTUBE]

15. Mango

Hi there Ianthe!

Many years ago, I read a book titled, "Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex"..*But were afraid to ask* by David Reuben.

I believe that Reuben hit the nail on the head by describing the crossdressing of transvestites, as being sex-driven. I don't believe there's anything wrong with having a fetish. However, a sadistic mysogynistic male trucker driver, could have the same sex-driven propensity to crossdress. However, that wouldn't be indicative of him having any issues with his male gender at all.

IMHO, there are fundamentally three types of people who crossdress. They are as follows:

1) The transsexual - crossdresses in order that clothing suits the personality and gender of one's true identity.

2) The transvestite - crossdresses due to some sex-driven urge.

3) The crossdresser - crossdresses due to some innate desire to both look and "feel" more like the opposite sex. Usually, the crossdressing is accompanied by an overwhelming feeling of calm and comfort.

Of course, there's always the Drag Queen. I have yet to meet a Drag Queen who didn't not have gender issues, once I've gotten to know them. Most are members of either Group 1 or 3, above...

The restroom issue is a very serious one indeed. Imagine for an instant, that heterosexual, misogynistic truck driver who gets drunk one day, while having to use the restroom. Do you really want to seem him in the restroom?

16. Mango

The only difference between a crossdresser and a MTF pre-op transsexual, is the fact that the crossdresser identifies as male, and most would not have any desire to take female hormones (estrogen). Either could be of any sexual orientation. Although, it has been my personal experience that most MTF transsexuals prefer to have males as sex partners. IMHO the overwhelming majority of MTF crossdressers are either straight or bisexual. Some are completely gay.

All are under the transgender umbrella, because they derive a certain amount of psychological comfort (nonsexual), from crossdressing. Almost all claim to have a certain amount of female behaviors and/or tendencies.

#16 Mango, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  17. Fiddledeedee

A MtF person, regardless of whether or not she has had surgery, isn't crossdressing if she wears women's clothes, because those are the clothes that match her gender. So that makes two differences: either both are crossdressing but one has a masculine presentation and one a feminine one, or only one is crossdressing but both have a feminine presentation. Other than that, a comparitively good post.

18. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

If the only reason that you have against accepting transvestites into the LGBT community its because it would make it harder for you to get your rights, then I would really think about what you are saying.

That logic is the same logic that MANY people have used in the past to leave out the transgender category out of legal battlers for years! If I went along with your logic, then it would be easier for lesbians to leave out every single other terminology out there and get their rights already. Why is that a horrible idea? Because we aren't fighting for the right of few people, we are fighting for the rights that EVERYONE deserve and not because its an easy fight.

As for your bathroom dilemma, how would you plan to deal with it? Who is going to be the one standing in front of the bathroom door checking who is transexual and who is cross-dressing for the hell of it. Who is the one that will draw the line to decide who is transsexual "enough"? Would surgery be required? HRT? Note from the doctor?

On top of that, I don't even understand where you got the idea that transvestites even want to be included into the LGBT community. Most guys that cross dress as a fetish do it in the privacy of their rooms without having to involve anyone else. Why it affects you so much still goes beyond me.

19. Mango

I dunno..Perhaps you're right!

20. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is a different point, but I don't know how easy it is for a woman to be a crossdresser. I mean, if I go walking down the street and I see a guy in a dress etc., I know that he is dressing up in woman's clothes, and it is immediately obvious. If I go walking down the street and I see a woman in a hoodie and jeans, I think nothing of it. A suit, I think nothing of it. I mean.. How does a woman actually dress up in man's clothes? Are there any clothes (excluding underwear) that are gender specific for males? Not many. I can go to a clothes shop, and sometimes, especially in sports sections, I'm not sure if the clothes are designed for women or men.