1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maternity Leave for Father

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Romi, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Romi

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...t Grants Gay Man 4-Month Paid Parenting Leave

I saw this and thought it might interest some of you. I know it interested me, and to be honest, some of the comments that came along with the short article were more interesting in the end.

I just wanted to see what everyone thought. And I'm now curious of the allotted time for maternity leave in other countries, and how it affects same-sex parents.

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I think that its ridiculous that such a thing is still controversial. Other countries already have maternity leave for males whether they are gay or not. Why other countries think the mother is the only one that needs a period so she can enjoy the newborn goes beyond me. Not to mention that a lot of women earn much more than their husbands so it only makes sense for the dad to take a break and not the mom.

This thing might be brought into the spotlight years later by the gay community in many countries (on of them being the US), but it will benefit way more than just gay guys.

3. Aldrick

The fact that this is even controversial is a sad thing. All men should be given an equal amount of leave as women. The fact that society doesn't think this is necessary or a good thing, only illustrates how much they devalue fatherhood.

...and they wonder why there are so many crappy fathers out there who don't show much affection toward their children. Oh, geeze! I don't know, maybe it's because society doesn't think fathers should be given time to bond with their children; because, you know, the role of the male is provider, and men can only be defined by their occupation and status at a job? Just a random guess.