1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Republicans in support of same-sex marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by TheEdend, Aug 31, 2012.

1. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Ah, so when I found this I was beyond excited. Things are changing little by little, and while we still have a long way to go, these changes need to be celebrated!

And a short video by Republican Mayor Jerry Sanders of San Diego:
    [YOUTUBE]XXwy0BXdosc[/YOUTUBE]

Yes, I know. This doesn't change the horrible things that the party has done, but this isn't about the past. This is about the possibilities for the future and what will come once we have both major parties agreeing that LGBT people need their rights.

2. Aldrick

Awesome video. I try to go out of my way to give support to Republicans who stand up for LGBT rights, particularly marriage.

That's the future of the Republican Party, right there. Since so many within their own party would move to stand against them, they need everyone they can possibly muster to stand behind them to push back.

Every time someone in the Republican Party wins an election and takes a strong stand for LGBT rights, that's a huge victory for us, and a huge blow to those who oppose us. Every pro-LGBT Republican that takes power is a huge blow to the fundies, because it directly and overtly weakens and marginalizes them.

3. SunSparks

Whouoooooo! Obviously, I knew there were Republican supporters but I've never seen a campaign of them promoting it. Really interesting to see Romney's money bag saying that and the video. It actually seems a little weird to me, haha

4. Mango

The majority of Repubicans find anything associated with the LGBT community absolutely repugnant!

That's how most of them feel and that's in keeping with their old screwed up tradition.

The Republican Party is the birth place of our good ole "family values" and most remain defiantly fixed against a woman's right to choose.

Most still demonstrate support of the unending war effort in Afghanistan and the unyeiding support of Zionism in the middle east.

We'll just wait and see what they'll say about returning to the "Don't Ask Don't Tell Military Policy"...

I'm not impressed with any Republican videos, nor am I impressed with the history of the Republican party's positions on most political issues.

OTOH, I'm very impressed with the both the guts and intelligence that President Obama has shown, in his open support for gay rights since day one and his complete dismantling of the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy. Now that was quite a gutsy move for a president and we would be absolutely remiss and ungrateful, not to both remember and recognize that fact, come November!

One good turn deserves another...Don't bite the hand that feeds you...You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours...

#4 Mango, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  5. IrisM

I find the republicans utterly repulsive. Everything about them offends my sensibilities, from the fact that they claim to reduce debt when they made most of the expenses under bush, to the bush tax cuts, to the fact that they want more taxes on the middle class so they can lower it even more for the richest. I am utterly disgusted by the Patriot Act, and every subsequent law that has proceeded to strip people of their rights. I am upset by the fact that they cater to big oil, Hollywood, and other private interests over those of the people. At the RNC they even had the gall to throw peanuts at a black camerawoman and shout 'this is how we feed animals' as well as drowning out a puerto rican politician with chanting because of her heritage. They continue to oppose a woman's right to choose what she does with her own body, they spread contemptible levels of bigotry against LGBT peoples and many others based on factors like race, religion, and national origin. They represent the ugliest side of humanity, and to me they are not conservatives at all, they are Regressives.

Obama on the other hand, has dismantled don't ask don't tell, has embraced and endorsed gay marriage to the point it's a party platform, has stood up tall and proud against Transgender Discrimination, has given us Obamacare, and has done a phenomenal job since the day he set foot in the oval office, especially considering who came before him and the mess that was left on his plate.

The republicans will never endorse LGBT peoples and our rights as a party, rather they will allow these one or two people to say their piece and hope that they can use that in order to get us to help ruin our own chances at equality and happiness.

6. Katelynn

In some ways, I see Republican support for same-sex marriage as one thing - desperate for votes. Romney's image has probably not helped the party, so the party is scrambling to move to the centre in an attempt to get more votes which, if successful, will probably leave America with a president who will turn his back on LGBT voters as soon as he's taken the oath...

7. Gen

Gen

I have to regretfully agree.

I'm not saying that there isnt LGBT support from SOME republicans. But the idea that this has nothing to do with the election is ridiculous. Theres a old saying that tells to "Forgive the past but Never forget it." You shouldnt hold people too their past, but you should never assume that there is no way history can repeat itself.

8. dano22

dano22 Guest

I am a moderate democrat and although I disagree with mostly everything republican I am 100 percent against abortion and against birth control. I am not saying I would stop a woman from going into a abortion clinic but if Roe vs. Wade was overturned I would not be disappointed at all.I am glad some republicans support gay rights but the reality is most of them that are now in office or running for office are full blown against gay rights.

9. Mango

How could anyone be against "birth control"? :eusa_doh:

100% against abortion....

That would mean that if some mentally retarded, criminally insane, misogynistic, sex predator, raped your sister or mother, they then would be forced to go full term with the pregnancy and have that degenerates baby!

You then, would be in full support of both this type of pregnancy and birth! :eusa_doh:

#9 Mango, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  10. dano22

dano22 Guest

I misspoke. Birth control is fine with me but Abortion is completely against my moral beliefs. There are circumstances where I can understand the need for an abortion and if that happened to my mother or sister that guy would not see the light of day again. Also you cannot blame what happened as traumatic as it is on a innocent human life inside the mother''s womb.

#10 dano22, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2012
  11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have more disagreements with Republicans than simply the fact that they pander to bigoted, inhumane constituents who want to harm me and other queer folks.

However, I can acknowledge that if they Republicans were to unify around marriage equality, that would cause huge problems for the Democrats. Because let's face it: Democrats are not that inspiring. They are just not the Republicans. Democrats just get the votes of people who think that what the Republicans are doing is hateful demagoguery.

12. Aldrick

But the problem is the same is true for Democrats. How many years did we spend whoring ourselves to the DNC and Democratic politicians, when they were afraid to be seen with us in public or talk about our issues, but were more than happy to take our money and votes?

Does anyone honestly believe that Obama "evolved" on marriage equality? I believe he was always supportive of gay marriage, but because it was a political liability he didn't support it publicly. Once the majority of the country moved to favor gay marriage he did the same because it energized LGBT people to volunteer and donate more money. (And it worked!)

Politicians, at their core, are prostitutes. They will say and do whatever is necessary to raise money and win. There may only be a handful of vocal Republicans who stand for marriage equality today, but are there more Republicans who are pro-LGBT in private but publicly pander to the fundies (who they think are nutjobs)? Yes.

I don't agree with many stances Republican's take. I also don't agree with some of the stances Democrats take. In my lifetime of voting since I've been eighteen, I've pretty much voted only for Democrats.

However, setting aside all other issues and putting a pro-LGBT Republican in front of me and an anti-LGBT Democrat? I'd vote for the Republican. If they are both pro-LGBT, I'd have a more difficult decision to make.

Every vote I make I cast toward furthering LGBT equality. I would love to see the day when both political parties are falling all over themselves for the LGBT vote. Look at how both parties fall over themselves to win the support of the Jewish lobby, then realize that we out number the Jews.

Demographically speaking, the Republicans need to broaden their base or they're simply going to lose the numbers game. They can't continue playing to the same old bigoted crowd, or they can't keep winning elections. Within our lifetime the United States will be a Majority Minority nation, and the old Southern Strategy that they loved to employ just isn't going to fly anymore.

So, my message to Republican Politicians is essentially: Evolve or die.

13. Mango

Better yet, just don't evolve!

14. NickD

Just a fantastic video. I'm a republican (and obviously gay) and it has been a struggle to explain my own views regarding LGBT rights to other republicans. But it looks like we're turning a corner, and hopefully with support from both parties now, we can make gay marriage a reality!

15. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's unlikely that the Republicans won't eventually evolve. I imagine people in 1915 imagined that the Democrats would never evolve on race, but look what happened.

16. Emberstone

should be noted that it was the conservative democrats of the south that had to evolve, long with the conservative republicans. the progressive democrats in the north, along with progressive republicans in the north already had evolved on race. the only difference is that the southern democrats switched parties to the republicans in protest of the civil rights act of 1964...

... so in essence, it still all comes down to the republicans evolving.

17. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

more Americans now, support gay marriage, power or not Republicans and well any public official needs support, republicans are desperate to beat Obama and are willingly to incorp. gay marriage in a attempt to draw LGBT support more or less, they are not doing it out of their love or hope. Roads are freshly paved to where their are none, then they decay and wither unless built over

#17 NoName114, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  18. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That statement would be truer in later decades than 1915. Many of those early progressives still were quite racist. Woodrow Wilson was a progressive, he was a Democrat, he was former governor of North Eastern New Jersey, and one of the most racist men to ever be president. In general, the Republican party was better on race, and got a vast majority of the few black votes cast, until FDR brought the Democrats around.