1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you deal with random homophobia?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by darlig ulv, Sep 3, 2012.

1. darlig ulv

How do you deal with homophobia from complete strangers?

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ignore them plain and simple. Frankly ignore homophobia from people you know. Allowing it to bother you just will eat you up inside. While with your friends or family you can attempt to change their views, strangers are just that, strangers. So just leave it alone and walk away.

3. blightedsight

Well, I don't handle it well.
    I'll give you an example.
    A month or so ago, my boyfriend and I were staying at a hotel in Brighton and decided to go into the swimming pool for a swim.
    Now, yes we were a bit OTT in the PDA(I don't mean anything gross, but we did cuddle and give each other pecks on the lips), but no more so than the straight couple also in the pool at the time - plus we figured it's Brighton, you know, gays are well known in that town.
    So, anyway, as we were in the pool, this woman decided that what we were doing was disgusting and that we shouldn't be gay in public(she even complained to the obviously gay lifeguard but even he said there wasn't much to do because we weren't doing anything wrong).
    Well, as she was leaving, after some really unpleasant homophobic words, she called my partner "disgusting" at which point my partner, after taking it well, told her to eff off.
    Now her husband heard this and physically threatened my partner.
    I did not take this well. In fact I was furious and ready to get him and kick the ever loving poo out of him - if my partner hadn't been there, I would have, thankfully, he held me back.

It's easy to say "ignore it" but when someone threatens someone you love, well, I defy anyone to ignore that.

4. SkyDiver

I usually give them this kind of a face:
    [​IMG]

It works.

5. rg93

Omg, mind if I steal this idea? :grin:

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Haha too awesome!

It depends on who says it and where I am. If I'm in a public place then I don't usually do anything else than ignore it. Sometimes I will send them a kiss or smile, not frequently.

If its on campus or something where I have to stay for a long time then I will either confront that person or get them kicked out one way or the other. Luckily, I have only had one incident though.

7. SkyDiver

Go right ahead. :wink:

8. Romi

I deal with homophobia in all kinds of ways. It really depends on who it's from.

Family or friends: I'm very level-headed about my approach. I always try to let them explain themselves and how they feel. I want to know what it is they don't like or feel comfortable with exactly. That way I can just as calmly educate or reassure them on those points.

Coworkers: Well this is newer territory for me. So far, I've not had much luck. I tend to just grit my teeth and stay quiet. Since their homophobia is never directed at me.

Complete strangers: This is where I feel free to be obnoxious as hell. I either tell them in a not so nice way to 'fuck off', I make a scene in where I'm either being angry or some sort of goofy, insult their narrow-mindedness. Although when I'm feeling more mature and less happy, I tend to ignore them. Though I love when they try to whisper amongst themselves and I love to embarrass them. Turn around and be all "Oh is that what you think? Because you know...blahblahblah." Call them out on their own sins. The list goes on. XD

9. darlig ulv

i like "i love you too" and blow a kiss, but that applies to all haters

10. SiberianHusky

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just think of "love your haters, their your biggest fans."

#10 SiberianHusky, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012