1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mitt Romney doesn’t care about gay people

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pret Allez, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Original source

2. Schabanak

I don't like Romney -.-

3. Phantosmiac

Romney is an arse. I would vote for Obama just because he is a douche. Sadly, I am not old enough to vote :/

4. J Snow

My vote for Obama is only going to go a small way to counter act my homophobic family who will all be voting for Romney (originally my mother voted for Rick Santorum in the Iowa caucus.) I can't stand being around my family anymore...

5. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

I haven't been following the election that closely this time. How is it looking between Romney and Obama, any clear favorite to win?

6. julia

Ugh. We really need a president who is for LGBT rights. It's been a far too long of a fight. And to answer your question, DryOasis, Romney and Obama are pretty much neck in neck, with Obama just slightly ahead. It's going to be up to the electoral college to decide, and considering most voted for Obama four years ago there is quite a large chance Obama will win the election this year. We can only hope.

7. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

Thanks :slight_smile: Elections are always an exciting time anywhere in the world. I also hope he takes it. Romney would be an un-necessary stumbling block for LGBT rights to progress further.

8. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Very close. From recent polls, Romney seems to have a slight edge in popular polling, but Obama has a slight edge in the projected electoral college from state polls. It's possible this could be a reverse of 2000, where the Republican Romney wins the popular vote but the Democrat Obama wins the electoral vote. Or Romney could swing up and win both or stumble and lose both. Either way, it will most likely be close unless there is a game changer.

9. Emberblaze

Wow that's cold. Usually when people bring children into the mix, they feel even the slightest bit of sympathy

10. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's an ass, and even worse he's a puppet. A rich puppet asshole running for president ^,^

11. Tiny Catastrophe

Romney is an ass and I know he's against gay rights and everything but Obama is going to run this country into the ground. A lot of the reason he even supported gay rights is to get votes anyway. I obviously don't agree with Romney being against gay marriage but I feel like he would be better for the country in the big picture. I don't really care for either of them but in terms of getting the country out of this recession and things like that, Romney seems to be the lesser of 2 evils. I have been following this for months on the news and at this point that's how I feel. And I have a feeling everyone is going to want to argue with me about this.

12. Ridiculous

I wonder if there will be gay people on the planet Mittens gets when he dies.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find it odd to vote for someone who you know hates you on the off-chance that he'll do random good things for you in the periphery. He might do good things for the country, but he will be sure they don't benefit you. For example, in a Romney administration, we might see the economy turn around, but he and a possible Republican majority in congress would oppose ENDA, meaning that the queer community would see less of the benefit of a lower unemployment rate. In my view, we need more solidarity than that.

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most are showing Obama winning currently. Huffington Post shows 247 to 191. RealClearPolitics shows 221 to 191. 270towin.com shows 201 to 191. CNN is showing 237 to 191. It seems in each case in the needed number to win, Obama is winning on all polls BUT still needs to win those toss-up states.

15. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    People shouldn't be single-issue voters. Romney is not some madman like Santorum or Paul trying to allow states to re-institute sodomy laws. If Tiny Catastrophe supports Romney on issues such as the economy, environment, foreign policy, government spending, taxes, illegal immigration, abortion, and others, he should probably back him versus the man who only agrees with him on one. People are not defined by their sexuality, they shouldn't look at every issue and say, "Now, how should I view this as a member of the queer community?"

In reality, there's little Romney can do to oppose gay rights, other than appoint Supreme Court Justices opposed to any judicial legalization. The Republican congress will never send ENDA or a repeal of DOMA to him, a re-enactment of DADT would never survive the congress due to the Democratic opposition, a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage passing is a wild fantasy of the social conservatives.

16. Butterthecat23

As much as y'all don't like Romney, he kinda is the lesser of two evils here. Obama's a evil dictator who won't lead and Biden is just a ass who doesn't know anything. I can't vote, but I think, as homophobic as Romney may be, the better path would be to vote for him since he can rebuild this country and THEN maybe we can worry about his homophobic side. That's just me tho.... Please don't hate me for it.

17. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

That's a valid point. I guess you can't be a single issue voter. Can someone tell me some other issues that Romney is gonna address, other important issues?

18. dano22

dano22 Guest

Well I think it is very obvious Romney is against gay rights and does not care about gay people. I know that Romney is against gay rights of any form but this election seems to very unpredictable right now and I am gonna be realistic and say that he might win which of course I hope not. I hope he does succeed as president if he wins and gets the economy back on track and just pray that he leaves the gay community and keeps busy with the economy for four years if he succeeds in that. The reason I would hope Romney succeeds is that we should not stoop as low as republicans and bash him the day he gets into office. Although I may have strong dislike for him.

19. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Um, if that issue happens to be whether the candidate respects your dignity as a human being and will support equality for you under the law...then yeah, I don't see how you get around that. We're not talking about disagreeing over tax rates or something.

But anyway, the idea that Romney is better on any issue isn't really rooted in reality. On all the issues that Obama is bad on, Romney is worse.

And Romney's cold attitude toward LGBTQ people is just symptomatic of the bigger overall problem with Romney. This is an incredibly self-entitled super-rich elitist with zero ability to show empathy toward anyone. He is a sociopath. Not only does he not know the experiences other people have gone through, whether it's the poor black family struggling to get by economically, or the gay kid who wants to kill himself after being bullied relentlessly day after day, Romney simply doesn't care to even try to understand what others have gone through. In his world, being born a super-rich straight white man whose father was the Governor is the norm, and anyone who questions him on his exorbitant wealth and lifestyle is just jealous. His entire life has been one of privilege; he has never experienced adversity.

Well sorry, but that "single issue" is a deal-breaker for anyone who wants to be president of the United States. Especially in this economy, we don't need to have as president an emotion-less robot who is incapable of even considering the human cost behind the numbers of anything he says or does. Romney has never experienced hardship, and lacks the ability to empathize with the 99.99% of normal Americans who are experiencing hardships in one form of another. As far as what gay couples tell their children, Mitt seriously couldn't care less about same-sex families, so at least he gave an honest response in this case.

20. Waterlilly

Romney is equally cold about the environment. I heard a speech he gave where he laughed over how he wanted to drill for oil in the Alaskan Wildlife Reserve. He also seems to be unconcerned with antagonizing China, which could be dangerous. On the economy, I can't seem to grasp exactly what it is he plans to DO. Business experience and convictions about what NOT to do aren't a plan as far as I'm concerned. While he was a pretty good governor of Massachusetts (my home state), I also don't find that reassuring, as he has spent the entire campaign denouncing all his former policies. I can only hope that he will follow the path of nearly every president before him and be more practical in office that he was on the campaign trail.
    Really I wish there was some other option that Romney or Obama. I think the problems with both candidates are symptomatic of the problem of the system as a whole. It's broken and either way the election goes, it will just break it further. :bang: