1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nothing worse ‘than being brought up by two gay dads’

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pret Allez, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Straight up gay treason. You just can't make this up:

In a new interview, openly gay British actor Rupert Everett stunned the LGBT community by telling London’s Sunday Times that he “can’t think of anything worse” for children than being raised by two gay fathers.

Everett was commenting that his 77-year-old mother, who know he was gay by the time he turned 18, still wished that he was straight, and that she would “like him to have a pretty wife” and children.

“He’s so good with children. He’d make a wonderful father,” said Sara Everett. “But I also think a child needs a mummy and a daddy.”

Rupert, 53, agreed:

“She thinks children need a father and a mother and I agree with her,” he said. “I can’t think of anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads. Some people might not agree with that. Fine! That’s just my opinion. I’m not speaking on behalf of the gay community. In fact, I don’t feel like I’m part of any ‘community’. The only community I belong to is humanity and we’ve got too many children on the planet, so it’s good not to have more.

This is not the first time Everett, once considered a trailblazer for LGBT actors after he came out as gay 20 years ago, has caught the ire of the LGBT community.

In a 2009 interview, Everett told the London Observer that he wished he hadn’t come out because it had hurt his career.

“I would not advise any actor necessarily, if he was really thinking of his career, to come out … The fact is that you could not be, and still cannot be, a 25-year-old homosexual trying to make it in the British film business or the American film business or even the Italian film business,” he said at the time.

Ben Summerskill, chief executive of the gay rights group Stonewall, told the Daily Mail, “Rupert should get out a little bit more to see the facts for himself. There is absolutely no evidence that the kids of gay parents suffer in the way they are being brought up or in how they develop.”

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Sounds like this guy has self-hatred issues. Perhaps trying to blame homosexuality for why his career went down the drain.

3. Mango

Yeah, quite possibly a little bit of self-hatred , I think. It also sounds as though he's just a tad bitter that his career has been hurt by coming out. Now he's turned against himself, the LGBT community, and the entire film industry.

Perhaps he should have weighed things more judiciously before coming out...

4. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Is there any proof that coming out is really why his career is in bad shape? There are plenty of talented people out there who are openly gay and successful, and don't get bitter and whine that being LGBTQ hurt their career.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This boggles my mind because it's like, physically two gay dads can't have a kid. I mean they can through surrogacy or IVF, but otherwise they adopt and not add to the world population....so it's like you know how dumb you sound right Rupert?

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, no evidence of that at all. Just pulled out of someone's ass.

You're totally correct, there are many people (Ellen, Chris Colfer, Neil Patrick Harris come to mind offhand) who are openly gay and successful, and a million more I'm not thinking of at this moment.

7. Emberstone

There are worse things in the world than someone raised by two dads... have you ever seen Michelle Bachmann? There is a reason her foster children rarely stayed more then 2-3 months...

8. Hengrove22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Leave him alone guys, he's perfectly valid to his own opinion you know!

He says in the article he isn't speaking on behalf of the gay community and that it is merely his own opinion.

We are still entitled to our own opinions in this country.

9. Mango

This guy came out twenty years ago.

Homophobia today, pales in the shaddows of yesterday's homophobia twenty years ago.

#9 Mango, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hengrove, Please go read the First Amendment and tell me where it says "and no person shall be criticized by private citizens for being a douche."

11. Zontar

Objectively, it's single parents that are far worse. I've seen many more studies that decry single-parent families than I ever have seen with gay families. Use common sense; is it worse not having a homemaker in the family at all, or is it worse if that homemaker is the "wrong" gender?

At the very worst, you can only argue that there isn't much understood about gay parents. This man is just being a dick. "Nothing worse than two dads"? I'd love to see studies on how fundamentalist children turn out.

#11 Zontar, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  12. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Idk, I think being brought up by a T-Rex might be pretty terrible. Such tiny arms, how are you supposed to hug your kid with those?

13. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Ellen came out 15 years ago, and she is doing quite well now. Elton John came out even before Everett.

Things might not have been so rosy 20 years ago, but c'mon, it's not like we're talking about the 1950s where coming out really meant the end of your career and total ostracism from society.

It sounds like this guy just wants to blame his sexuality for his personal failures.

14. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *_*

15. GayJay

I think he is wrong to say he can't think of anything worse. Of course there are worse things.
    But as for a child being brought up with a mother and father i do myself think this is better for the child. I'm not saying they wont have a healthily and fulfilling life but they 4 kids I've ever went to school with brought up by same sex parents had to go from school to school cause the bulling was so bad. People just by passed these kids like the fact they have same sex parents justifies them being bullied. Even teachers didn't protect them as they were religious and thought this was a sin anyway so why should they do anything.
    I know this won't be the case for everyone but after seeing that happen where i live it defiantly changes my opinion on it. Its unfair for the child to be treated in this way for something they have no decision on.

16. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    that's only disadvantageous because of prejudice. Allowing it to happen like that furthers the prejudice. Resigning one's self to the fact that it's just a fact of life that a child of same-sex parents will endure hardship at the hands of their peers is to lend the prejudiced assholes credence they do not deserve. It should be fought tooth and nail, not acknowledged as a fact of life.

17. GayJay

[/QUOTE]
    that's only disadvantageous because of prejudice. Allowing it to happen like that furthers the prejudice. Resigning one's self to the fact that it's just a fact of life that a child of same-sex parents will endure hardship at the hands of their peers is to lend the prejudiced assholes credence they do not deserve. It should be fought tooth and nail, not acknowledged as a fact of life.[/QUOTE]

I never look at it that way but i guess your right. And it is something that need tackling rather than by passing.
    But personally i wouldn't have children with another man say because i would be in fear of it happening to my child. But unless there is people in this position awareness won't be raised and it won't stop.

18. darlig ulv

Gay couples are now some of the biggest adopters. Critics argue that it gives minority children a chance in the world.

19. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i am disappointed that public prejudice has pressured you out of pursuing a family life. Disappointed in society that is, not you.