1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chick-Fil-A agrees to stop funding anti-gay groups

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Sep 19, 2012.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is a step in the right direction!!

Read the rest here!!

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Eh, I'm very skeptical about the whole thing as of right now.

Everything is still based on rumors and we still don't have an official statement from the company. It sounds to me like they are trying to calm everyong the fuck down, but they won't do enough for it to actually mean something.

We'll see what happens.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah.. I am too. I just felt that it should be posted here. Who knows?? Maybe they finally realized how stupid that whole episode. I doubt it.. but we can always hope.

4. J Snow

I'm surprised. I know people around here flocked to supporting the only two chic-fil-a's I know of it Iowa. I'm surprised that they are actually backing down. Excuse me if I'm still wary to give them any of my money though...

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm skeptical. Not because I'm cynical by nature, but because my gut instinct when it comes to corporations is always "follow the money". Chick-Fil-A has had their most successful year ever financially in 2012, and they've done it specifically by being "the anti-gay-marriage fast food restaurant". Why would they turn their back on that? And no, "it's the right thing to do" is NOT a valid answer here. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. Doctor Faustus

So disgusting.

Anyway, if that is to be believed, I'm sceptical too.

7. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can. Not. Believe. I was so happy to read that, never thought I'd see it.
    I hope this is true, but I will remain aware.

Maybe now that they got their one big gulp of money from the support day they're thinking if they pull out now they can draw the rest in and continue their profit making in the long run? Correct me if I'm wrong, it was one day that had the big spending and a little around that right? In the long run this would probably keep their profits up.

But they could be doing it because it's the right thing to do. :slight_smile:

8. Markio

I don't eat fast food, so I never ate at Chick Fil-A to begin with and don't plan on ever eating there, regardless of its CEO's political stances. I'm at least glad that funding is being cut from anti-gay organizations, as that will hopefully decrease the power of these organizations. Hopefully.

I read this article on Yahoo News, and I have got to stop reading the comments section.

9. Connor22

For the record, I went there once on holiday, I thought the food was nice.

10. Fiddledeedee

The link in the OP doesn't work for me. :frowning2: If it is the case in the way the quote shows it, that's awesome!

11. Emberblaze

X= 2.43?????

(I'm referring to your math thingie above your picture)

12. seeksanctuary

I don't really care; I think it's bogus. It's ONE branch, their "charity" branch or whatever... What about the rest of the money?

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The link did not work for me, so I read a similar article.

If Chick-Fil-A is committed to changing its internal culture, I applaud it, but only insofar as it will make their queer employees feel safer and more humanized. However, I refuse to grant that this is anything more than a business model decision, since it only follows the political pressure to which the company was recently subjected. This did not proceed because leadership had a moment where the extended humanity to any one of us. They still want to hurt us, and the only reason they might cease doing so actively is that they want their bottom line more than they want to see social authoritarians choke us harder.

14. Fiddledeedee

It's dates rather than math. Great as math is. :slight_smile: I self-harmed from the 22nd of December 2011 to the 31st of December, and never after that. :grin:

15. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

And so it begins.

Chick-fil-A Counters Claims It Agreed to Stop Funding Pro-family Groups

I'm not sure what to feel about everyone jumping the gun and counting this as a victory. It either hurt chick-fil-a reps as a company that sells out or it just gave us an empty win. I still find it ridiculous that this whole thing is a done deal all over the place :/