1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get neutral gender pronouns on Facebook Timeline! (It finally works! :D)

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by highlights, Sep 20, 2012.

1. highlights

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The grammar nazi in me is appalled by this "fix", as it is grammatically incorrect. "Their" is not a replacement for "his" or "hers", as the former generally refers to a plurality ("Will everyone hang up their coats in the closet") and the latter is singular. Ditto "They" and "He" or "She".

But... grammar and spelling seem to be suffering pretty seriously anyway in the era of text messaging and such, so perhaps I'm being too anal. :slight_smile:

3. Ridiculous

"Some people object to the use of plural pronouns in this type of situation on the grounds that it’s ungrammatical. In fact, the use of plural pronouns to refer back to a singular subject isn’t new: it represents a revival of a practice dating from the 16th century. It’s increasingly common in current English and is now widely accepted both in speech and in writing."

'He or she' versus 'they' - Oxford Dictionaries Online

"Meanwhile, many great writers — Byron, Austen, Thackeray, Eliot, Dickens, Trollope and more — continued to use they and company as singulars, never mind the grammarians."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/magazine/26FOB-onlanguage-t.html?ref=magazine

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, I know. But it's still blasphemous :slight_smile:

5. Emberstone

i quite agree with you. when someone was listing pronouns, they either were plural, or made-up words 99% of people have never heard of.

I doubt they would rush to add colloquialisems already being used by bigots as slurs.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I get what you are saying, but the hell with grammar. If using a word "improperly" means that someone will feel comfortable with themselves and acknowledged by others, then in my opinion people should be okay with that.

7. Pexetta

'Their' is a replacement for 'his or hers', as can be clearly seen from its widespread use in that sense in colloquial speech, informal writing, journalism and literature.

8. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, not a proper replacement is what I meant. I know it's used a lot. So is "hella" and "ain't" and misuse of their-they're-their, to, too, and two, and a whole host of other improper use of language.

Doesn't mean I have to like it or accept it :slight_smile:

9. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I just did it using the English (US) version of Facebook. I'm seeing "their" on my own profile, and I tested it with a friend of mine who tells me that Facebook is using "their" to refer to me in her own notifications.

This is brilliant! Thank you so much, highlights!

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yay!! I got it to work!! Thanks for posting this!!

11. highlights

That's pretty much how I feel about it. IRL I don't really mind what people refer to me as, I'm not usually around when people talk about me in the second-person, but it just really bothered me that "her" was always coming up on my Facebook. And so, I can get over the improper usage for the sake of me feeling a little less uncomfortable with my identity.

Owen & thecat06 = No worries! :slight_smile: I'm glad you both found this useful! I'm really glad someone found a way to get around timeline :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Pexetta

No, of course you don't have to like it.

We can have the debate about the value of concepts like 'improper' in the study of language if you like, but maybe this isn't the place. And we both know how it goes anyway.

13. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Is there actually a pronoun to describe gender neutrality that isn't plural?

14. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I've just discovered one problem with this fix: familial relationship listings. My sister's page still lists me as her "brother" and my mother's page still lists me as her "son". *sigh* Oh well, nothing's perfect, I guess.

There are a few sets of invented one made specifically to fill that void, though none of them are widely recognized outside of LGBT circles. The one I tend to use is zhe/zhim/zher (equivalent to he/him/his, respectively).

15. Ridiculous

16. Doctor Faustus

*hits the like button* :slight_smile: