1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boy Scouts Lose Their Biggest Corporate Donor Over Anit-Gay Policy

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Menaki-Neko, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    LINK: Intel Halts Boy Scout Donations Over Anti-Gay Policy

OPINION/CONVERSATION STARTER: In my opinion, it's about time somebody did something about this. Whether or not somebody supports this, it should still seem morally wrong in a sense.

2. everett

This makes me joyful. Have always been disgusted by closed minded the scouts organization has been and also never had any fun being one.

3. J Snow

I was a boy scout as a kid. I didn't even realize at the time that I was secretly a spy for their worst enemy.

4. everett

Win

5. Agreed.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is bittersweet for me.

Intel absolutely made the right decision.

And yet, I also know that the impact of their decision, unless the bigots at the Mormon Church step up to make up for the shortfall, will probably cause cuts in the services that the Boy Scouts provide to their scouts.

The Scouts, for all their bigotry and 40+ year history of teeming infestation with pedophiles that the Scouts then officially cover up for, has done a lot of good for a lot of boys. And particularly since so many fewer kids are going to church these days, the Scouts are sometimes one of the only voices in support of integrity and authenticity. (Nevermind the fact that "authenticity" applies only if you're a straight scout, and "integrity" only applies if you're a scoutmaster who isn't a pedophile.)

I suspect that the bigots at the Mormon Church will, *eventually* come around. Let's not forget that it wasn't that long ago that the Mormons were convinced that black people were second class and couldn't go to heaven, until the Living Prophet magically got a call from God on the hotline telling him things had changed. Which... coincidentally happened just before the government was looking at them for their discriminatory practices. :slight_smile:

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Intel would be correct here. The Boy Scouts of America are a problematic organization that should be made to feel extreme political pressure.

8. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

I don't understand why the boy scout is so special, it's a waste of funds from anyone, give that money straight into welfare for both genders of kids and research programs

9. th3wallflow3r

having been involved with both guiding and scouting in the uk I can tell you that over here there is far less discrimination.
    for example one of the leaders who helped with one of the Brownie units I worked with as well as running two scout units of her own was openly gay.
    strangely they were more accepting than the area in general.

in conclusion..
    UK guiding and scouting is far less discrimitary than American variants.

10. Gallatin

As Chip also said, this is bittersweet for me.

I'm glad that Intel has pulled its funding, because I think BSA's discriminatory policies are horrible. However, as someone who started as a Tiger Cub and eventually became an Eagle Scout, it saddens me to see this happening. Scouts does good things; it's just ashame that not all boys can partake in those things.

Hopefully losing big donors like this will put mounting pressure on BSA to change their ways.

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Which makes me all the more hopeful that they will feel the results of their bigotry, and be forced to (even begrudgingly) make the right decision. I can only hope more sponsors follow suit and demand a policy change even more quickly.

#11 Browncoat, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  12. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    LOL, if the national organization ever conducted a raid of the troop I'm a member of, we'd lose a huge chunk of our members to the anti-atheism rule. I'm glad I live in the hole in the Bible Belt.

13. IllusiveRannoch

ha. so was I. i started in Tiger Cubs & planned on making it to Eagle. I made it to Weblos before getting out because of moving so much. can't say i'd want to go back now though.

14. Emberstone

my boy scout troop was so political, and I dont mean liberal/conservative, I mean that it was who you knew, not how hard you worked, that defined how far you got. if you were chummy with the spoiled shits born of the scout masters rancid seed, you didnt have to do jack squat, and they would make you eagle. if the shitbrains didnt like you, they got their dad to hold you back, even if you did ten times as much work as the shitnuggets.

my brother fulfilled every requirement to eagle, and the scout master refused to sign off on it, and I was basically mistreated mercifully, so I left before advancing to any higher rank.

it is weird, because as a webeo, I earned every single merit possible. I had proven myself already, and they just treated me like shit. I know why, because my brother out-shown the skankdroppings of the scout master, and did it with humility and a smile, so they took it out on me.

15. Gallatin

This is pretty much how my second troop was like (my original troop folded, so I had to transfer). Because a few of the scoutmasters didn't like me, I almost didn't get my Eagle. They blacklisted another kid and wouldn't let him get Eagle, and they tried to do it to me, too. They just didn't know that I was very good friends with one of the most powerful people in the entire council, and so thanks to that, I had the opportunity to achieve Eagle.

16. Alln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good for Intel!