1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What’s missing from pro-gay marriage TV ads? Gays

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...arriage_tv_ads_gays/srvc=home&position=recent

2. spectrumsigner

I agree! We can speak for ourselves.

---------- Post added 27th Sep 2012 at 09:52 AM ----------

(ugh, wonky computer, posted the thing when I wasn't done typing)
    On the other hand, it is important to not alienate voters. While I hate that so many people get all squicky about gay couples, the truth is, a lot of people do. And if seeing a gay couple on TV is what's going to make them vote against my future marriage, I suppose I can suck it up and let straight people speak for me.

For now.

3. THEwolfKiana

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was waiting for someone to say this. Yes. I agree. I can speak and have been doing it for years. Im pretty sure I can speak for myself.

4. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'd like to raise a point, if I may.

The thing is, of course gays are going to speak in favor of gay marriage. But some 90% of voters aren't gay. So if we have an ad where a straight couple talks in favor of same-sex marriage, it's basically saying, "we're like you, and we support this even though we won't benefit from it, so why don't you?"

The idea, I feel, isn't that gays can't speak for themselves, it's that straights may be more relatable, so their message may have a greater impact.

This raises its own problems, of course.