1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Human Sexuality is Complicated...'

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Kerze, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, Hank Green made this video basically explaining in brief what different terms relating to gender and sexuality were.
    [YOUTUBE]xXAoG8vAyzI[/YOUTUBE]

I thought it was a good video, but apparently people seem to be having problems with it; the one that caught my eye was this
    [​IMG]

I was just wondering what people here thought of the video. Personally, I think it's great; Hank has a large viewership and most of them might never be exposed to some of these terms or understand them if they have. I obviously can't talk for trans people, but I like that he told people about the pronoun thing.

Anyway, does anyone have any particular objections to this videos existence?

2. J Snow

I'm currently in a computer lab on campus so I can't watch the video, but I think its unfair for people to attack him simply for being cisgender when he is trying to do something beneficial. I'll have to remember to watch the video later and see how accurate the information seems.

In my opinion some trans people tend to be a little... over sensitive. I have been berated for using the term male to female... I AM male to female!? Like, it is not an offensive term lol. Someone is always going to be upset about something.

3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

There are certainly a lot of misguided, even counter-productive allies out there. But I don't think anyone of us is doing the community any favors by making those kinds of negative blanket statements about all allies. It's an inescapable fact that we're a minority, especially those of us in gender minorities (as opposed to sexuality minorities, who are still a minority, but a larger one), and if we're the only ones fighting for our rights, we're never going to win that battle; the numbers just aren't on our side. We need support from those outside of the community if we're going to improve things for ourselves, whether they support us by not having an issue with their buddy being gay, or by making a video like this as an internet celebrity. Maybe some people in our community are just too proud to admit that we need the help.

I thought it was a great video. While it was definitely a very broad overview that only glossed over the issues, for a three-minute video, I thought it did a great job of summarizing the issues at hand, and the best part is that Hank got everything right.

(And as a personal note, it brought a smile to my face when he recognized agender as one possible gender identity on his chart. There's a lot of agender erasure/denial out there on the internet, and it was nice to see someone say "I recognize and accept your identity." :slight_smile:)

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First of all, it's a YouTube comment, so it comes from somebody who doesn't put zer name behind anything. Second, it's pretty uneducated as far as comments go. I can tell that whoever wrote this knows nothing at all about the debates that we've had about the politics of representation. One voice out there doesn't "override" everything that's been said by trans people.

I think it's great to differentiate between sex and gender, sexual orientation, romantic orientation, and actual relationships.

5. LailaForbidden

The Youtube comment is ridiculous! why can't people be grateful that others are actually educated and caring? Why can't people suck up their misplaced pride and realize that we aren't all that different from people. So.. let's say there a professor of LGBTQ studies thats straight. Does that make it WRONG that he's teaching?
    Ugh. Give me a break.