1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NC university student leaders seek to oust Chick-fil-A

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2012/10/13/3112636/nc-university-student-leaders.html

2. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think that they should push out a job-providing business because the president of said business is a jerk, just don't eat there if you don't like it.

Bigots have a right to voice their bigotry (as long as it stops there and they don't harass people) but I don't think people have the right to interfere with a business' ability to operate in a reasonable location ( no night clubs next to daycare centers) based on their personal opinion.

I do not agree with or even condone the opinions of the president of Chick'fil-A, I just don't think that the people who work for his business (or the people who eat there) should suffer for his mistakes/stupidity.

3. Ticklish Fish

On another news.. it's fast food lol.

In my uni, they had to remodel/ reconstruct a few places, and one of the not too popular business had to force out/ close down as the construction proceeds...

But of course, chick fila, i am sure students like the food lol. But it's just the background and believes that one president that might angers people lol.

Did they say what food they are trying to replace it with?

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Businesses rent the space at the pleasure of the student government. They have no inherent right to be there.

5. Emberstone

given chick fil a's terrible record as a employeer, especially against women, it would be better to get something with a better record of treating their employees, and provide, in the end, better food.

a college near me got rid of another fast food chain due to issues with the coorporate side not following the contractual agreement, and all the employees were rehired by the replacement, and in the interum, they were giving other jobs on campus to keep their paychecks going until the new resturant could move in, so it doesnt have to be a job killer.

in the end, the new resturant hired more workers, and was selection of booting the old one was a popular with the students.

6. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry if my earlier post came off as inflammatory. I know that the business is at the mercy of the student government. I just think that it should be something about that particular store that gets it removed, such as some of the unfair practices that Emberstone brought up, rather than something about the chain as a whole.

I hope that they offer the employees somewhere else to work, I just know from some of my family members how hard it is living from paycheck to paycheck and how difficult it is when that paycheck is suddenly no longer there.

7. redstormrising

bigots have a right to voice their bigotry. they do not have a right to be free from consequences from other citizens for voicing that bigotry. i don't know why so many people seem to think that freedom of speech means that there can never be any consequences for the things you say.

8. Ticklish Fish

I am not sure how close to "there's a fire" clause of free speech. I thought the whole point of Free Speech is that you can voice how much you hate your government, not "I want to say whatever the hell I want"?

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A thousand times this. Speech can and should have consequences, including punishment. We can refuse to associate with bigots, exercise our own right of free speech to criticize them, and we can kick them out of the student union building if we don't want to rent to them anymore.

The whole "fire in a crowded theater" thing isn't in the constitution (i.e. no explicit exception for causing panics). That was Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. in Schenck v. United States. Raising a false alarm to cause a panic is not the same as what's going on here.

#9 Pret Allez, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  10. J Snow

This. +1000 internets to you.

11. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chick Fil A displaces other businesses that could provide the same jobs and services without the bigotry. It has contracts with universities all over the country. The employees who work at Chick Fil A but disagree with their higher-ups on social issues have no say in where the company diverts its profits to.

For that matter, what a company does with its profits should not be construed as free speech, and that many people in our country view it that way just shows how perverted our political atmosphere has become. Money should never be considered a form of speech. To do so would make it a right that some people have more of than others.