1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scouts track gays in 'perversion files'

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Dan82

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Boy-Scouts-track-gays-perversion-files--173622801.html

2. Ticklish Fish

I can't--- I can't-- finish reading this for the whole story :/
    They're clearly trying to play up the misconceptions that all gays are pedos...

EDIT: Also, McCarthyism/ red tape of homosexuals in America?
    HEY! IT'S SOVIET AMERICA! /sarcasm

3. aeva

I'm stunned...although unfortunately not as much as I should be.

Thanks for sharing the story.

4. spirithawk

spirithawk Guest

On my way home today, I was listening to a radio program (Lars Larsen, KXL out of Portland/Lower Washington) and he had Kelly Clark, the attorney who released the files.

While undoubtedly the Boy Scouts opened files on gays as suspected pedophiles (it is a conservative christian organization in the 60s, after all), Kelly Clark stated the majority of the files were of actual pedophiles, and the "false positives" were a very small amount of the 1200 or so files. Also note, that these files were from 1959-1980, when tolerance wasn't like it is today.

The real issue, is the massive amounts of cases in where the Boy Scouts had these open files, but either didn't kick them out of the Scouts, failed to report them to the police, or both. Worst of all, is they failed to inform the parents of such scouts. One such case had a 30-year scoutmaster twice warned by the national office for the Boy Scouts, that he needed to stop taking naked pictures of his scouts, and 5 scout complaints. Yet he wasn't arrested, wasn't blacklisted from the Scouts, the parents weren't informed, and he even received an award for his longevity and dedication.

5. Emberstone

not trying to be offensive here, but you have to understand that one of the most powerful controling factors in the BSA is the catholic church, and this is the same thing they did with all the child-raping priests; they did not report them to the police, and swept the whole thing under the rug and ignored it as it continued to happen. They would even move priests who were raping children to other parishes to protect the priests.

6. spirithawk

spirithawk Guest

Not offensive, it's truth. This happened here, with another chunk of the "offenders" being able to "resign without incident". Or getting reported to anyone.